Setting clutch on a JD450()

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: Setting clutch on a JD450()

Post by Cle Elum John » Tue May 22, 2018 10:53 pm

The manual for the JD450 specifically says to cut the notch onto the JD277 and measure the levers at the notch. It has a picture measuring the levers at the notch. I guess the confusion is the change from the 450 to the 450B. Its great to have the actual dimensions from the tool. I would like to set it right the first time.

By the way those adjusting bolts are real tough to get to. If there is a trick, let me in on it.
Reporting from the Peoples Republic of Washington State.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed May 23, 2018 4:42 am

It is great that is specifically in your manual, it always pays to have the right one. I double checked and the 450B manual I have reads as using the 2" tab, so there apparently is a difference between models. So using the notch; you would be setting a lever height of 2.156" (plus or minus the allowance your manual should give you). I checked my 2030 wheel tractor manual and I found where I had read/seen that notch used. Depending on the clutch used and whether or not the tractor has a PTO, the notch was used to set the levers to on some of the John Deere wheel tractors as well.
Where your sketch shows cutting the right side of the tab off on an angle; I found another John Deere sketch showing removing a rectangular section of the original tab 5/8" up from the bottom of the tab and 1-1/4" in from the right side. I believe the this rectangular and your angle modifications were likely for clearance.

Good luck.

Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Cle Elum John » Wed May 23, 2018 10:35 am

Thanks again. Great information

Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Cle Elum John » Wed May 23, 2018 11:29 am

One last question. Does the spring clip (called a return clip in the manual) that covers the head of the adjusting bolt need to be removed prior to adjusting? It seems like the only functions is to keep the adjusting screw from turning, but the lock nut should do that by itself. Is that right or am I missing something obvious?

John

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed May 23, 2018 1:53 pm

In certain applications, it will help to pull the pressure plate face away from the discs. Deere never spec'd it in these applications, break them off, throw them away.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com