Diesel spraying from one injection line at the bottom of the fuel injection pump

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
nicoz
40C crawler
40C crawler

Diesel spraying from one injection line at the bottom of the fuel injection pump

Post by nicoz » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:57 pm

I have fuel spraying out of one of the lines right off of the fuel injector pump. I have taken the line off and cleaned it up. It was pretty clean checked the washer and retightened it back up to 35 lb-ft as per the technical manual but it is still spewing. In fact, after I cleaned it up it is spewing more. Any thoughts?

See video of it in action.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8Hia9CQrBV93dyHp7

Roosa Master JDB431AL2475
Current Machine: 1981 John Deere 450C w/ 9300 Backhoe

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Diesel spraying from one injection line at the bottom of the fuel injection pump

Post by B Town » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:11 pm

I would start with a new set of washers. Best regards, Bruce

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Diesel spraying from one injection line at the bottom of the fuel injection pump

Post by dtoots1 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:50 pm

we had similar situation with our david brown tractor....had like compression rings or sleeves that fit on steel tubing end with cap nuts over them,,,actually wore the metal off under the sleeve...was able to use red loctite, after letting set and dry before starting, which lasted for couple weeks and do it again....tho finally fixed by going to tractor salvage and getting used replacement....were really short hard steel and preformed and not available ...so lucked out, by the way every one of them differently formed so really lucky to find correct one..tho lately i find out there is some loctite made that is for fuels

nicoz
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by nicoz » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:22 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I will swap out the washer. Seems like this would have been a good place for John Deere to use an O-ring or something.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:10 pm

Replace the washers as Bruce suggested. The washers are the O-rings in this case. Closely check the mating surfaces of the bolt and injector line banjo fitting where the washers contact for damage. You might want to get a new bolt as well and try on that line, I have had to change some to get a good seal before. If the bolt threads are rough you may lose some of the sealing torque overcoming thread friction. That is high pressure, don't get your hands or fingers near the leak, it could inject fuel into your flesh.

nicoz
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by nicoz » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:39 pm

Yup it was just the washers. Simple fix. Should have known. This machine is new to me and I feel I am a bit out of my wheelhouse working on it so I thought I'd check before doing anything. Thanks for the help guys.