400G PTO shaft dilemma. ....

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
rubiconkid400G
MC crawler
MC crawler

400G PTO shaft dilemma. ....

Post by rubiconkid400G » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:17 pm

I have owned my 400G for 6 years and I have a opportunity to buy a complete JD 3325 winch. My 400G didn't come with a PTO shaft, so I'm going to add one. No biggie right. ?? My parts book shows the shaft assembly, then some gears.
Do I just need the shaft. ??
Do I also need the gears too..??
What do I really need to have a PTO..??
My dealer has no information on this mattet and a email to corporate has been even less helpful.
So I'm now turning to you, the professionals..!!
Thanks, Paul

Ps. My dealer has been informative in telling me that all the parts are obsolete. ... Lol

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 400G PTO shaft dilemma. ....

Post by B Town » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:56 pm

Good evening, Paul

First off you don’t need a PTO, but you will need a winch drive. Google “Deere parts” and scroll down to select “JD Parts Catalog John Deere jdpc” website. Open that website. Put “400G” in the search box. Hit search. Select “2209”. Scroll down to the sectional index table and open it. Scroll to the bottom and select “4051-PTO or winch drive 40”. There you will find the pieces and part numbers needed. It will be important to confirm what if any internals your crawler has, there was not standard reasoning from the factory. Keep us posted, Bruce

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:02 pm

I went back and re-read your post. Looks like I should have read it closer the first time as you have already been in the parts box. Before you start the search, raise the back of your crawler about 12” and pop the cover off so you can see what your crawler has and what you will need. By raising the rear up your oil loss should be minimal. Some people have been surprised and only needed the shaft. On the back of your machine, where the shaft would enter the case, is it a flat plate or is it a cover with the center raised out ~2”?

rubiconkid400G
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by rubiconkid400G » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:07 pm

Thanks for the reply..!! My 400G has a flat plate that is retained with 3 bolts. Thanks for the tip on lifting it up to minimize oil loss. I have been pondering taking the plate off to see if I can actually see the gear (s) in question. But am now unsure if they'll now be submerged in oil.. Lol
I have found a used shaft (same part on 450C) and bearing retainer (round plate the shaft comes thru ), but this gear has me baffled as to where it is or how it is retained. ....

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:35 am

Hi,

The Winch Drive shaft will go straight into the hole where the small cover is now. If present, there will be a shaft inside the trans in line with the hole. Both shafts have external splines, and a coupler with internal splines is used to mate them up.

What I can't recall is if the coupler is pinned to the shaft inside the trans, or to the Winch Drive shaft. I *think* it is pinned to the Winch Drive shaft. The retainer for the winch drive shaft goes inside the main rear trans cover, so for installation you get to remove the big cover.

This, of course, presumes the drive inside the trans is present in the first place. So, the jacking up and removing the small cover and taking a look is a really good idea.

There is a difference in the internal shafts between the PTO and Winch Drive. The PTO has a sliding gear for in/out control along with a fork and lever. Which, you don't have. Also, the external PTO shaft is a lot longer than the Winch Drive shaft. And, it is retained outside the main trans rear cover. The internal shaft for the Winch Drive has no sliding in/out gear as that control is provided for in the winch itself. And, it is retained internally as it is really short. Barely sticks out the back.

Hopefully, you have the internal Winch Drive shaft and don't need to take the trans apart to add it. I recall my Dad hating to add PTO shafts due to having to add a bunch of internal parts.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)