Exhaust leak from turbocharger adapter Jd 450C

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
nicoz
40C crawler
40C crawler

Exhaust leak from turbocharger adapter Jd 450C

Post by nicoz » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:35 pm

I have an exhaust leak from the adapter of my turbocharger. The adapter moves freely (spins and even shifts left/right. This doesn't create any seal and therefore a lot of exhaust escapes before the elbow fitting and out the end of the pipe. This has resulted in a lot of black soot all over the engine. From my research this is pretty common for this adapter (although I couldn't find anything specific to the 450.). apparently when it heats up it is supposed to create a seal but mine does not. It's almost like it needs a gasket on either end but the parts manual has nothing like that. does anyone have any recommendations for dealing with this?

Video link demonstrates the issue.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vLSD6T9Dqu85Cid39

Screenshot of exploded diagram of the turbo charger (part 9)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kFp9cSvUTVnw4do2A
Current Machine: 1981 John Deere 450C w/ 9300 Backhoe

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Exhaust leak from turbocharger adapter Jd 450C

Post by Jim B » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:28 am

The fit between the adapter, turbo and elbow are slight tapers if I remember right. You might be able to move the elbow towards the turbo to tighten up on the adapter, holes where the elbow mounts appear to be slotted in the parts diagram. Maybe you can slot them a bit more if needed. You may need a new adapter and elbow; or get creative with some heat resistant rope packing like is used on stove and boiler doors, just some thoughts.

Your 450C posts really belong in the Late model technical support section, more people with the later machines (350's and newer) may see them there, have experience with similar issues and have answers for you the early model owners don't have.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:58 am

Time for a new adapter. There were no slotted holes in my manifolds. When the machine is at operating temperature the adapter is supposed to be tight and not spin or be loose.. Bruce

nicoz
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by nicoz » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:49 am

Thanks Jim and Bruce. I will try moving the elbow closer. If that fails, I will replace.

Thanks for the heads up Jim on the correct forum section. I read the description of the early model section and it said it included up to 2010 crawlers. I didn't realize that's a model, not a year. Will post correctly next time.

I really appreciate all the help. Have a good one.
Current Machine: 1981 John Deere 450C w/ 9300 Backhoe