450 C Final Drive

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Rincon
420 crawler
420 crawler

Re: 450 C Final Drive

Post by Rincon » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:11 am

I'm ready to put my final drive on 450C. Just overhauled it. The problem is your upper seal at pinon. if the seal is worn, it will bleed into final drive gear area. And yes your final drive will be filling up from wet clutches. I would pull off final drive. and over haul it, inspect bearings etc. all my internal parts were ruined. 1700$ in parts. Can get everything from john deere or other sources. Refer to your manual. Split track, and get an extra pin just in case. I found one for 25$. I have a farm tractor with bucket so removal was easy. Drain your pan first. On the outer case of final on inside is an inspection cover. Open up to make sure Bearing condition. outer bearing on the other hand is not visible. If you believe your final gears, bearings, bull gear, shafts are good then leave alone your call of course. My outer bearing failed and tore up and ruined my axle shaft, 950$, thus ruining every thing but pinon shaft and bull gear. If you have your final off and hoisted, take off the lower pan exposing the bull gear, maybe a simple tugging on it will let you know if there is play on your bearings. There is a an inspection on upper outer pinon shaft area behind rock guard you have to remove to pull off final housing. This exposes the pinon shaft and bearings. The shaft pulls out from trans. Shaft is about 10" long. Be careful not to damage cover shims. The dozer does have to be jacked if you dont have a ripper to pull off sprocket. I had to purchase a 3/4 air gun to remove sprocket bolts. Harbor freight. Then had to heat sprocket area around hub 6 and 12 oclock postion and tapped with small sledge. came right off. I pressed all my bearings with my 20 ton. There is a lot more to know for removal. from link pin removal to taking off final was 3 hrs. Shop was using an engine hoist and heavy duty low table with rollers. The guts include your axle shaft, face seals, bearings, races, sleeve spacer, nut, cotter pin. However I will tell you that my axle inner bearing the small one was destroyed. If not the case, remove axle out final would have been terrible. no way to get a splitter on it. you would have to break it by some means. Chizel angle grinder etc. Also the pinon bearing i had to remove this way to get it off the shaft. My bearing splitter would not work. Careful not nick the shaft. My email is dmaezer1@gmail.com. If before next weekend you want i can e some pictures of parts. Good Luck!