radiator baffle 77' 450c

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
treeman59
MC crawler
MC crawler

radiator baffle 77' 450c

Post by treeman59 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:04 pm

I have a 1977 450c bulldozer that I removed the radiator from a few years ago. due to unforeseen circumstances I was unable to put back together then. Now I am in the process of putting it back together and I can't figure out where the radiator baffle goes. I have all the books and they don't show me anything, parts book shows it all by itself but not where it goes. If anyone could describe where this goes I would appreciate it, it's been frustrating.

psprague
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: radiator baffle 77' 450c

Post by psprague » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:18 pm

Can you post pics of the parts? I can take pictures of mine.
JD 450c forestry, JD 440A cable skidder

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:30 am

Does this possibly go over the hydraulic pump, at the bottom front side of the radiator, between the grill and radiator?

treeman59
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by treeman59 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:30 pm

psprague wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:18 pm
Can you post pics of the parts? I can take pictures of mine.
Sorry I don't have the capability to do pictures. It's just a angled piece of sheet metal with rubber fastened to one edge with two holes on the other side to fasten on with. The holes don't line up with anything that I can see, that's what's frustrating.

treeman59
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by treeman59 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:37 pm

Jim B wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:30 am
Does this possibly go over the hydraulic pump, at the bottom front side of the radiator, between the grill and radiator?
The baffle is clean where as everything in that area was covered in oil and dirt so I was sure it went on top somewhere but I just can't see where. The mounting holes don't line up with anything that I can see

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:04 pm

Thought that might be it from your description. The best I could do was to look at the parts book and service manual for my 450E. That has a radiator baffle shown in the parts book, by itself just as yours. I did find an illustration, with it called out by name, in the service manual showing it at the bottom of the radiator covering the space above the hydraulic pump, as I referred to in my earlier post. It is shaped about as you described and has a couple capscrews, located behind and at the bottom of the grille screen (thread holes tapped into the nose), that hold it in place, the other side just lays up to the bottom of the radiator. I have not signed up for the photo server, so can't post it.

treeman59
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by treeman59 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:28 am

Jim B wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:04 pm
Thought that might be it from your description. The best I could do was to look at the parts book and service manual for my 450E. That has a radiator baffle shown in the parts book, by itself just as yours. I did find an illustration, with it called out by name, in the service manual showing it at the bottom of the radiator covering the space above the hydraulic pump, as I referred to in my earlier post. It is shaped about as you described and has a couple capscrews, located behind and at the bottom of the grille screen (thread holes tapped into the nose), that hold it in place, the other side just lays up to the bottom of the radiator. I have not signed up for the photo server, so can't post it.
Yes that is where it goes but mine is held in place with the grille. The grilles bottom mounts slide through the baffles holes and fit in the nose holding the baffle in place just above the pump. Don't know why this was clean when everything else in this area was dirty and oily. Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction, now I can finish putting it back together and find out what my next problem will be but now I know where to go for help.