350B glazed brake bands

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Lotusracer
MC crawler
MC crawler

350B glazed brake bands

Post by Lotusracer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:48 pm

My 350B had new clutches and brake bands installed recently and some knuckle head used it briefly with the foot brake latched in causing the brake band material to glaze. I thought it would eventually get better with use but no luck. (They bite a little better in reverse and in 3rd gear)
Have tried adjusting and clutches are working properly.
Is there anyway to use some kind of abrasive to rough up the surface of the linings with out pulling the final drives.
Was thinking about trying to pull the adjustment cover plates and use something like a bathtub scouring cleaner.
As this is a dry clutch set-up didn't know if this would contaminate any bearings or if I could get enough of it on the linings to do any good?
Have installed a plug in the bottom of the housing and used wood alcohol in dry clutch JD.s to clean contaminated linings!
Maybe there is another liquid that I could use.
Really do not want to tear the tractor down and replace the bands as they are relatively new and not worn out.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350B glazed brake bands

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:21 am

Hi,

Lotusracer? Is that an accurate description? I used to have several Loti, both track and road. This could lead to much off topic discussion.....

I can't think of anything other than pulling the bands and deglazing with emery cloth. Probably need to do for both the bands and the drum. Anything poured in there will get into the clutch packs, I fear. And, probably won't work well enough anyway.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)