450 c Fuel problem

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
atbrdly
40C crawler
40C crawler

450 c Fuel problem

Post by atbrdly » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:00 pm

Hey all. I have a 450 C. some days it starts just fine and some times it won't start and just crank and crank and crank. when It won't start I bleed the fuel line at the injector. I loosen the nut and crank it until fuel starts spewing out and it starts. Then I tighten it back down and on I go.....

What would be the problem?

Item to note.....when I remove the fuel cap to put fuel in the dozer, it has a lot of air that comes out of the fuel tank when I remove the cap.....it seems like there is a lot of pressure in the fuel system...not sure if that's normal.

Any help with where to start would be great. I am thinking about getting a new fuel filter and strap that holds it on and see if that does anything.

I changed the fuel filter back in the winter when I first got the machine.

Thanks for the help!

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450 c Fuel problem

Post by B Town » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:53 pm

When you describe the fuel tank, are you sure air is coming out(positive pressure) or is it a vacuum (negative pressure). If it is negative pressure, the vent tube in the tank is plugged. Under the fuel lid there should be several items. A removable metal manual fuel stick/gauge, a plastic ring containing a screen and a fixed small diameter pipe. This pipe goes all the way through the tank and comes out the bottom of the tank. This is where insects love to plug the vent. Easy enough to check the vent and open it up if plugged. Bruce

atbrdly
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by atbrdly » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:42 am

Thanks Bruce. No i'm not sure its positive pressure. all I hear is air it is probably negative then. So does the vent tube come out after the screen is removed or is it apart of the screen? also, if you take the screen out could it be possible not to get it back in correctly?

Also, i'm not able to drain the water from the fuel tank from the bottom. the valve is broken. does this have anything to do with it?

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:36 am

Good morning, the vent tube is permanent. The dipstick and screen are removable. Yes, the screen is index and should only go in one way.

The drain has nothing to do with the pressure you describe, but still could cause your other issues. I would remove, clean and replace the sump drain and components. Best regards, Bruce