Scared newbie - should I just sell it? How much?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
old350b
MC crawler
MC crawler

Scared newbie - should I just sell it? How much?

Post by old350b » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:57 am

Hello. Thank you Lavoy for allowing me into the forums and thank you all for all the information you have posted over the years. My wife and I are in escrow to purchase a property in San Diego. The parents have passed and the 50-65 year old children are selling the property. It was dad and mom's place so they act like they know nothing about it. Anyway, there is a JD 350-B sitting out on the property. I used Google Earth and found that it has been sitting there since 2012, so about 6 years. It seems like it used to be parked elsewhere on the property but then in 2012 it appeared in the field. I can only imagine that it broke and they couldn't move it. When I first saw it I thought it would be great to have and that I could get it running pretty easily. Now that I have read these forums I realize that this is a whole different world from a little tractor. Since I don't own the property yet I haven't taken a super close inspection of the 350. I have not looked for any ID plates or even looked to see if it is gas or diesel. I am only a "shade tree" mechanic. I change my oil, do my brakes, change out alternators, rotate tires etc... but I do not have pro tools or A frames or hoists or a big shop to work in. I think the 350B might be more than I am capable of. I don't want to be a chicken but I also don't want to waste my time if I'm not capable of getting this running. What do you guys think? Should I just sell it? Do you have an approximate idea of value? (I know that without pictures and more info that it is difficult to gauge but maybe a ballpark). If I do sell it, are there 350B guys in southern California? Any words of wisdom would be helpful. We close escrow in a couple weeks so I can take pictures then.

Thanks for your time...............

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Scared newbie - should I just sell it? How much?

Post by B Town » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:51 am

Welcome to the crawler forum. Disclaimer starts here. I believe in keeping the old equipment going. There are quite a few arguments in favor of mechanical machines over the computer counterparts. I would look over your equipment(or have an experienced person). If it has a massive failure or it is going to take a mountain of $$$, I would liquidate. If you can get it going for little $$ and /or have a legit use for it on your property, I would fix it. Regular use will be a good thing for your machine. Also won't take long to earn its keep.

Dry clutches left outside usually result in the steering clutches being stuck. Not sure if that holds true in the desert.

Take care, Bruce

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:43 am

Scared,
even a back yard mechanic can work on these things, it is not rocket science. get the manuals and follow. First would just look at everything closely for worn broken things, check see what oils look like, drain a cup or so out to see if water contaminated at all oil drains, see what antifreeze condition is, any leaks anywhere etc, learn from reading on site how to judge sprockets, track chain wear etc, first thing is see how far out the adjuster is to end, count the track plates on both sides etc. check spark plugs to see how fired last fired if gas.
before attempting to fire up either kind ..drain all old fuel and inspect. After cleaning things up a bit i would get a good battery and attempt to see if will fire up to make further evaluation, If you see big problem you can then decide...by the way if waters does show up in the engine oil either drain enough water out till you run oil or completely change the oil..and then try to start it after new oil in...that would be the start of your investment and know if start

Now...if you have worked on cars trucks or other machinery you have some idea as to how to see where problems occur, ...the only difference you are faced with is 90 percent of everything is very heavy and requires at least a good come along to be fastened to something sturdy enough to handle the weight you moving.

also welcome and keep posting

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:40 pm

My first question would be "How are you sure it is a 350-B?" You need to check the serial number against the lists here in the FAQ Forum to know what model it is before deciding anything.
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK

old350b
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by old350b » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:19 am

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. After we close escrow I will inspect the tractor more thoroughly. The stickers on the side panel say JD350B but I will definitely check the serial numbers to make sure. I will follow with fluids and plugs and see what happens. I will update when I have something more. Thanks again.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:54 am

Hi,

It is probably a B, then. It is when the stickers say C, I become doubtful. I think there are more Bs out there with C stickers than they made Cs..... Probably also a diesel. As the 1970s marched on, gas engines became rapidly ever more scarce. Especially in crawlers.

Values? Not running equals 5 tons of scrap steel. Running, but not so great a shape, $5k. A decent one, $10k.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:38 pm

I would take a breaker bar and see if the engine crankshaft will rotate- that will give you a pretty quick indication of how deep you may be into this crawler if you were to work on it. A "stuck" engine may not actually be stuck through as the spring-loaded torsional isolator behind the engine on these can get wrapped up and make it seem like the engine is locked up- either way some time and money to fix if the case. If you were so inclined, you could also pop off the steering clutch housing inspection plates and see how bad a rusty mess they are. As others said, checking fluids can also be handy to know condition.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:55 am

I think the easiest way to differentiate between the 350 and the 350B is the reverser on the 350 is on the dash and the 350B has it on the left armrest/fender.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:48 pm

Hi,

And, just to toss a wrench into the works, some straight 350s and 350Bs have no reverser. It was an option to begin with. It wasn't until the 350C that a machine had to have a reverser. The reverser oil pump pressurizes the wet steering clutches. No pressure, no drive, so it became a stock item at that point.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

old350b
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by old350b » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:56 pm

Hello all. I can't believe so much time has gone by. The old dozer is still sitting on the back of what is now my family's property. We've been too busy to deal with it. I bought a baby JD to work around the property. It's a 1025R. We've accomplished a lot but there is still more to do. I'm back to thinking about the 350BB again. I pressure washed it, got a key and connected a battery. I pushed the clutch on the left and pushed the button on the panel but nothing. Probably field mice ate the wiring? I haven't pulled the panel where the tachometer is. I'm in Vista, CA 92084 near San Marcos, CA if there is anyone out there that would like come look at it. (I'll pay a fair wage :) )

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:50 am

That appears to me to be in fairly good shape overall. I would 100% try and get that running find out what is going on. It's more than likely broken to be left in that location.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:09 am

Rain cap on the exhaust appears to be up, that doesn't bode well.
lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:44 am

I'm with Lavoy... the fact the rain cap is not only standing open, the flap is completely missing! This doesn't bode well for the motor. Not sure how much rain you get in your area but any moisture going inside the motor is not a good thing. That being said however, it does appear to be a good enough machine to see if it will run. Then if it does will it still function. I would do as Tigerhaze mentioned a couple of years ago about trying to bar the motor over to see if it is stuck. Check the engine oil first to see if any water is in the pan. It will show as being over full sense the water will go to the bottom of the pan.

I am intrigued by the grouser bars or toes that have been added to the track pads. I have seen just about every conceivable addition to track pads in my time but I have never seen large round stock added to the middle of street pads before. I guess it works or they wouldn't have done it! :)

I would definitely work with it for a bit to see what it is. Then decide whether to pursue a fix and use. Good luck with it!!
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:14 am

Lavoy wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:09 am
Rain cap on the exhaust appears to be up, that doesn't bode well.
lavoy
I have high hopes the 5 gallon bucket in the picture was over the exhaust....
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T