exhaust manifold replacement ideas

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
ngilles
420 crawler
420 crawler

exhaust manifold replacement ideas

Post by ngilles » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:24 pm

Hi Guys,
I bought the 555 knowing it had a broken "ear" on the very front of the exhaust manifold. It's loud, to say the least lol.
I'm told the gasket had a small leak and a former owner tried to tighten the bolt breaking the ear of the manifold.
I have replacement parts and bolts, purchased by the former owner but when you see these pictures you'll know why he didn't attempt the repair. Any suggestions from you guys that have tried to take bolts like these off as to how to remove them?

As you can see the heads and nuts have completely rusted away, I'm not sure what's holding the manifold and turbo casting on!?

Pics in shared google drive folder https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I seem to have more questions every time I'm in the shop :)

Thanks! Nick
JD 555 "Triple Nickel" (straight 555) Trackloader
Lx565 New Holland Skid Loader
D14 Allis Chalmers 1959

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: exhaust manifold replacement ideas

Post by B Town » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:48 pm

Hello Nick,

That will be quite a rewarding project. I would say your bits are held together with expanded iron oxide. I would turn the bolts in “studs” by grinding the heads down flush. Use a torch to heat the cast pieces and tap/pull/ tap again until off. Walk way, return and repeat.

Best regards, Bruce

Mikeforester
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Mikeforester » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:48 pm

Hey Nick,

So, how I've handled this kind work in the past is first giving everything a good power washing to get rid of any accumulation of old oil, grease, and crud. You'll probably need to use heat, a welder or grinder for disassembly and there's no reason to take any chances.

Old manifolds can be a real project or come apart real easy (I've had experience both ways). If you can grind the bolt heads off and get the manifold off that would be the easiest fix. (I've never been that lucky!) However, since this manifold is junk anyway there is no concern with saving it, so, I've got no problem with cutting them apart with cut off wheels and torches to expose the bolts/studs going into the head. The bolts are junk, but, it's been my experience that the threads on the bolts going into the head are still good (although the bolt is seized or rusted in the manifold). Now getting them out is usually a combination of turning them out with a pair of vice grips, welding nuts onto the old ones and removing them, or using drills and easy outs (last resort). I've had really good luck with welding nuts on them (just keep a close ground sure you are not grounding through any bearings). If I can get them to wiggle I know I've got them! Nothing more satisfying than getting one of those pesky buggers to turn.

Take your time, breaking one of these bolts off in the head can be a major pain.

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:46 am

never seen one that bad my approach would be cut manifold apart with cut off wheels on grinder to get to areas around bolts heat red hot then let cool and heat again let cool again douse with penetrating oil you can also heat red hot quench with cold water usually cracks the rust that is holding every thing together

JIM retired master heavy truck and equipment mechanic