Can't get transmission oil pickup screen out.

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
ngilles
420 crawler
420 crawler

Can't get transmission oil pickup screen out.

Post by ngilles » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:05 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm following my usual routines when I buy a piece of equipment. I change all fluids and filters.
I was going through the manual for my straight 555 track loader and found the page for the removal and cleaning of the transmission oil pickup in the bottom of the transmission.

HELP I can't get that sucker out for the life of me and I don't want to break anything. I've posted pics in 3 different ways in this google shared folder. I put notes on the google slides that are in there, saved them as pics and as PDF's. I hope they open right for you:)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BfKi1 ... z6Pb3xVCZ4

I'm pretty sure this has never been out of the tractor. I'd really appreciate any help!

Thanks again,
Nick
JD 555 "Triple Nickel" (straight 555) Trackloader
Lx565 New Holland Skid Loader
D14 Allis Chalmers 1959

ngilles
420 crawler
420 crawler

Re: Can't get transmission oil pickup screen out.

Post by ngilles » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:58 am

Please be sure to let me know i you couldn't open the pics folder. Thanks!
D14 Allis Chalmers 1959

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:24 am

I was able to open the pictures. I have not weighed in previously b/c I have very little knowledge in the triple nickel ream. Is it possible someone could have been inside the case and welded or tacked the pick up so it would not dislodge; therefore, preventing future external removal?? Best regards, Bruce

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:21 am

I wish I had better advice, I had hoped someone with a 555 would of weighed in by now but as you can tell there are not alot of them on the boards. Looking at the pictures and the exploded view, I agree that it's just stuck on the pick up tube coming from the front. My guess is that is the main suction line and it will probably be pretty secure, I think you'll have to spray and wiggle harder but that's just my guess.

Ask some questions about 450's and I'll be more help full.... Good luck!
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

ngilles
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ngilles » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:39 am

So frustrating lol! Stopped at local JD Const. Equip dealer and they look at me like I'm speaking Chinese. They could look up the cover gasket for me, that was about it. That was after I gave them the part number that I looked up myself at JD online. Same not helpful picture in my T1111 tech manual as online lol. Oh well, not giving up, I'll figure it out!
D14 Allis Chalmers 1959

ngilles
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ngilles » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:43 pm

Thanks guys for the advice! It seems as though it will be a sprained wiggle Adventure:-) I came across an older John Deere mechanic and he said it's fitted on the tube coming from the front with a very snug fitting O ring. He said more than likely it's never been off. So I've ordered the O-ring and gaskets for the cover. Probably going to be a wiggle and spray kind of a Saturday coming up :-)
D14 Allis Chalmers 1959

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:59 am

ngilles wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:43 pm
Probably going to be a wiggle and spray kind of a Saturday coming up :-)
Are we still talking about working on old iron????
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

ngilles
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ngilles » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:49 am

Ha, funny "Ford"! I went on a parts search and finally found a knowledgeable mechanic at McCoy Forestry in Chippewa Falls. He worked on a few "Triple Nickels" as he called my 555. Not very many around our area of WI he told me. He said to wiggle the mount flange up and down. Its rotating on the pipe on the forward side of the pickup screen mount as was mentioned. Said to be sure to put in a new O ring so I bought a couple o rings in case I wreck one and a gasket for the cover.
Headed to the shop shortly to give it a go. Kind of wishing i hadn't opened it up, but knowing now that it has probably never been cleaned I guess at least I'll know the pump is getting full flow.
We'll see how it goes!
D14 Allis Chalmers 1959

ngilles
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ngilles » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:25 am

Finally got it out. Just as described, a large diameter metal tube with a single O-ring on the end and this thing slid over it. Wiggled it while prying back gently with a big screwdriver and it popped off. I'd expected to see the screen canister but it's enclosed in a heavy steel "can" that's attached. Happy to report, not plugged or coated in crud. Here's a couple pics of it removed. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I got it reinstalled with a new O-ring and gasket and refilled the trans. Then I installed a new trans filter in that big "can" holder under the seat. Wow that was not designed for easy maintenance! Holy Moly! My arms aren't long enough to reach in from the sides and too thick to reach down around it. Probably looked like a great setup on the assembly line before the operator station was lowered over it!

I must have pinched the large flat ring gasket on the can raising it up into position, I've got a steady leak and the center bolt on the can is tight. I'm hoping I got it back together right after ordering another new O-ring. . The steel can itself has a "square" lip around the top and since the gasket ring is also flat/square I assumed it sat there. Mine came out off the can when I was removing it so I didn't see how it was located. There's another groove under the "square" top lip but that doesn't seem like a place for a square off rubber ring.

Can anyone clarify that O=ring placement for me? I can't seem to find a pic anywhere. I'll take one when I have to pull it out again to put another new gasket ring in there.
D14 Allis Chalmers 1959

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:13 am

If I looked at the right one in the parts catalog, it is the same filter (AR75603) and gasket (R43733) as the transmission filter on 2030 wheel tractors. The can is a different number but it looks like the same arrangement. The gasket sets on the land around the lip on the can. I stick the gasket to the can with some heavy grease when I install a filter on them, haven't had a problem yet. You might give that a try.

ngilles
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ngilles » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:40 am

Thanks for the tip, I used grease too, I think I just bumped it out of position trying to fish the can up in there. The rubber ring that came with my filter did not fit well, was really loose. I'm sure it slipped off the "land" and over the edge. As I tightened it up, it actually sheared part of it off on the way up.
I'm going to get a couple next time :)
Have a great day, snowing like crazy in Western WI this morning.
D14 Allis Chalmers 1959

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:51 pm

I have stuck the gasket up in the housing with grease as well at times, also with no problems/leaks. I think the OD of the gasket to the housing might be a bit tighter fit than on the can. But that might be a challenge from where you describe it is located. Just curious do you have the JD gasket or on from another source? I normally get the JD ones, some of the ones that come with some other manufacturers filters didn't seem to fit as well.

ngilles
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ngilles » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:39 pm

Good point JIm, this was not a JD filter, was a WIX cross #. I've now ordered the JD part and o ring, hope I get a better fit and install this time!
D14 Allis Chalmers 1959

ngilles
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ngilles » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:00 pm

Hey Jim,
I finally got a chance to take a look at my trans filter again. I took out the one I'd installed earlier and damaged the rubber gasket ring by pinching it on the way in. I got the sheared off piece out just fine. I lowered the can out, drained etc.

I bought a new JD filter (AR75603) and gasket kit this time. I went to put the gasket on the can this time and it fit worse than the WIX one I'd tried the first time. I took a couple pics to show just how poorly it fit. FRUSTRATING !!!

There's no greasing down that much slack and hoping it makes it up inside the mounting bracket and seats properly!
Pictures here

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

How many do I have to buy before I get one that fits?

I'm wondering if a good quality O-ring would be a better answer than these crappy stamped out rubber "gaskets"? Have you ever had this problem...Anyone?

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I have to take the can itself right to the dealer and have them order me gaskets until we get one that fits right.
D14 Allis Chalmers 1959

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:49 pm

Good evening,

I just went out and checked the JD gaskets I have on a 2030 filter cover I swapped out for one with a port in it (had to have one with a port in it for oil return from the front end loader we installed). The fit is about the same as shown in your photo. I actually stick the gasket up into the base with heavy grease then install the cover; more often than I try to put it up stuck on the cover now. The slack will even out around the inside of the base and stay up with the grease, where it will be loose if on the cover and more prone to being dislodged as the cover is installed. I haven't had a problem with one doing it this way and have even been able to reuse some. It will likely be a pain on yours due to location, but that may be worth a try. Put a good amount of grease or Vaseline around the seating area, then push the gasket up in there by feel. Check it with a mirror, as long as it is not rolled, smooth, and tight around the outside up in there the cover should come up to it properly. I don't know that you will find much difference in fits of gaskets, regardless of how many they order. I don't know that I would try an O-ring. Good luck. Jim