Can't get transmission oil pickup screen out.

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
ngilles
420 crawler
420 crawler

Re: Can't get transmission oil pickup screen out.

Post by ngilles » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:08 pm

Thanks Jim,
I"ll give it a go :)
JD 555 "Triple Nickel" (straight 555) Trackloader
Lx565 New Holland Skid Loader
D14 Allis Chalmers 1959

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:20 pm

AS a follow up; I took a look at the 2030 operator's manual about servicing that filter and the instructions for the gasket are to install it in the transmission case (housing base) first, then install the element and cover. If you have the 555 operator's manual you might see if it says similar.

ngilles
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ngilles » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Nothing in my manual for that. You'd have to stand on your head and reach down under the seat quite a ways. I should post a pic of the mounting area. It's a bunch of lines coming together at the top of the mount, under the seat. You have to reach down to arm's length to feel the bottom of the filter can. I'm not sure I can get into a position to make that happen lol. To tighten and loosen the center bolt, I try to reach in under the fender hydraulic reservoir. I'll give it a shot, will let you know what happens.
Nick
D14 Allis Chalmers 1959

ngilles
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ngilles » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:45 pm

Jim B thanks for the ideas!! Today I tackled it with a small mirror, some heavy wheel bearing grease, and PATIENCE! :roll:
I got the rubber gasket stuck up inside the mounting cover with the sticky grease. Could just reach it with my fingertips! I slowly brought the "can" up and started to tighten the center bolt. I'm pretty sure the can may have spun a little as I tightened the bolt last time, I'm sure that didn't help the gasket stay in place. This time I made sure I held the can so it couldn't turn while I drew it up with the center bolt. Seems to have self-centered and seated. I fired up again with NO leaks!
Thanks again for taking the time to read my post and share your ideas! Worked like a charm.
Have a great weekend,
Nick
D14 Allis Chalmers 1959

Tm61
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Tm61 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:35 pm

ngilles wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:05 pm
Hi Guys,
I'm following my usual routines when I buy a piece of equipment. I change all fluids and filters.
I was going through the manual for my straight 555 track loader and found the page for the removal and cleaning of the transmission oil pickup in the bottom of the transmission.

HELP I can't get that sucker out for the life of me and I don't want to break anything. I've posted pics in 3 different ways in this google shared folder. I put notes on the google slides that are in there, saved them as pics and as PDF's. I hope they open right for you:)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BfKi1 ... z6Pb3xVCZ4

I'm pretty sure this has never been out of the tractor. I'd really appreciate any help!

Thanks again,
Nick

Never could get the pics to open up. Too old?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:51 am

Google drive is his personal file share. It may have had a time limit on it, or he may have "closed" the files with the completion of his project.

dcrump70
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by dcrump70 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:51 am

ngilles wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:39 am
So frustrating lol! Stopped at local JD Const. Equip dealer and they look at me like I'm speaking Chinese. They could look up the cover gasket for me, that was about it. That was after I gave them the part number that I looked up myself at JD online. Same not helpful picture in my T1111 tech manual as online lol. Oh well, not giving up, I'll figure it out!
Hello everyone, new here and wanted to post my experience with my 555A... purchased it about a year ago from a guy in PA (I am in Texas) and the crawler ran pretty good until last week. It would never push over a tree, but I started seeing a loss of power to the tracks. Last Friday, it stopped moving completely. I decided that I needed to change the transmission filter and fluid since I had not really touched it since I bought it. I successfully performed the maintenance and after cranking it back up it would move, but still had no power to the tracks. The bucket hydraulics work fine, just could not dig in to pick up dirt. So I turned to this forum and some others and found some frightening news that my problem was most likely the spider gear that so many have issues with. Well, when I found this post I decided to check my tech manual and see if I could remove the sump screen. I did so over the weekend and what I found was a clogged screen. It was so bad that I could not believe it. I too had issues getting the screen out, but then I read the manual again and found the trick! What you do is push the screen into the transmission (manual reads to the back, but technically the other side) rotate it to the left so that the port that connects to the pickup tube faces the back of the transmission, and simply pull it out. Comes out easily! When re-installing, insert the way you took it out, then rotate it to the right, connect the pickup tube, and you are golden! The worst part was getting the plate back on... nothing that a couple of pry bars cant handle! I had to make my own gasket set, wasn't going to pay $85 / for each gasket... that was crazy. But let me tell you, I almost junked this machine but after cleaning that sump screen, I now get pressure to the gauge (which I thought was broken because it always read 0-30 lbs (in the white)... it has twice the power it had when I got it, it will now mow over trees with easy, and the steering is much improved. So very happy!! Thanks for all the posts and technical advice... I hope my post finds someone with a 555 and helps you!! Take care!! :D :D :D

dcrump70
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by dcrump70 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:58 am

I forgot to post my pics... here is a link...
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Markleuckel
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Markleuckel » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:55 pm

DC crump , I also lost forward and reverse on my 555. I also had gauge in white and steering wasn't great at all. So I did as you did and pulled the suction screen out clogged except about 2"x3" cut out cleaned it off and out a d put it in the sonic cleaner for a bit
and also changed the transmission filter under the seat. I proceeded to clean and wipe out more of the bottom and discovered a roller bearing what at first I thought was a dowel, :roll: then found two more and another roller bearing. I went to the tool box and grabbed a magnet and found a big gland nut and also found a spacer round and flat.