450C loader losing hydraulic power

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
MarkW2
MC crawler
MC crawler

450C loader losing hydraulic power

Post by MarkW2 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:08 am

Hello, perhaps some experienced person can save me some work. My elderly 450C, which I use around the homestead a few days a year, seems to be gradually losing hydraulic power--both the bucket and the backhoe just don't have the breakout force they used to have, every year seems a little worse. I would estimate it is about 1/2 of what it once was. Oil level not the problem. Do I need a new pump? Or am I missing something simple? Thanks, M

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450C loader losing hydraulic power

Post by Jim B » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:21 pm

Hello Mark,

Your 450C questions should be in the forum for the Late Model Crawlers, Lavoy may move it over when he see this post. It will get more attention from people who are more familiar with the new crawlers over there. Have you checked the serial number and are you are sure it is an actual "C" model? Only asking as there often seems to be a mix up on the model due to wrong decals and it can effect getting the right parts and info.

I doubt this is the issue, but for starters, have you changed the hydraulic filter? What are you using for oil? Have you done any diagnostic pressure checks? How are the cycle times? You don't say if you have the manuals and I'm not sure if the 450C manual has it, but the 450E diagnostic section gives a method to time a function cycle and possible issues.

I am a believer in having the right manuals. If you don't have the operator's manual and service (technical) manual(s) for it, you should get them. They will give you specs and info about your machine. Those along with help for people here will get you through the details. You don't need to purchase a parts catalog, unless you want one, as John Deere makes those available for on line viewing at HTTPS://PARTSADVISOR.DEERE.COM/ . Get good reproductions of the JD manuals or the actual JD manuals. I believe Lavoy can help you with manuals if you contact him at postmaster@jdcrawlers.com . You can also get manuals from HTTP://WWW.JOHNDEERETECHINFO.COM . Good luck. Jim

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:15 pm

Good advice from Jim. The hydraulic filter on the 450C is in front of the radiator, but behind the grille. The other hydraulic filter that is even more neglected is inside the right box, inside the hydraulic reservoir. Unless it is a late C series, then it is in the same box, but is a modern screw-on filter. Best regards, Bruce

MarkW2
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by MarkW2 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:48 pm

Thanks for replies, and for moving my post to the right section. Will try to get it right next time.

Definitely a 450C. Used to have a B. This one has the newer steering clutches.

Use premium hydraulic fluid meeting Deere j20A (? or something like that) hygard specs according to the label.

Damn. The filter in the front might very well be it--haven't changed it in a long time. And of course, now that I think about it, that would be a perfect explanation for a slow loss of power. Did do the one inside the tank that you need a snorkel for, and felt so virtuous I totally forgot about the other one.

Do have a service manual, somewhere, falling apart, but will give it a go when I have a new filter on, if the power does not increase.

Thank you again, gentlemen.

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by JWB Contracting » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:28 pm

The filter behind the front grill is for the transmission.

Do you have a whining sound, which could be the couplers between the Backhoe and the crawler? Try unplugging and reconnecting. Try running without the Hoe and see if the problem persists.

As it’s both the Backhoe and loader should not be the relief valve on the loader or Hoe.

If it’s not the filter could be a collapsed or kinked feed or pressure from the pump.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:53 pm

JWB Contracting, Thank you for correcting my mistake. Bruce

MarkW2
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by MarkW2 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:03 am

No whine, and power loss is both with and without hoe attached. The kinked line theory has me wondering. Most of the hoses are old. When I get a chance, I am going to have a hard look to see if one may be bent.

I much appreciate the ideas. I turned 68 last spring and working on the beast is beginning to be a battle.

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:43 pm

My money is on the main pump wearing out unfortunately.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:35 pm

had trouble with my 350 dozer had to be full throttle to raise blade took pump apart and found the perimeter seal had piceses missing causing low pressure found rebuild kit and working fine now

JIM