Diaphragm-operated clutch in JD 3325 winch

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
hobbylogger
MC crawler
MC crawler

Diaphragm-operated clutch in JD 3325 winch

Post by hobbylogger » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:17 pm

I have what appears to be a John Deere 3325 winch mounted on my 1973 D-3 Cat. After years of yarding logs with it, a hydraulic oil leak within the left (clutch/brake) case has increased to a rate of about 3 or 4 ounces per hour. Finding the source of the leak was pretty easy. I opened the case and observed the hydraulic oil drip from behind the outer clutch plate while winching-in (clutch engaged). When I pulled off the outer clutch plate, I was surprised to find a fabric diaphragm instead of a piston/cylinder mechanism for compressing the clutch disks together. The exact location of the leak at the edge of this diaphragm was obvious. I figured this would be an easy, inexpensive fix until I started looking for the replacement part. The nearest JD shop found the part number which is T34716, but they have yet to locate one for me. Does any one have ideas where I might find this vintage part?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Diaphragm-operated clutch in JD 3325 winch

Post by Jim B » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:57 pm

I can't help much beyond saying I looked through My Nortrax and found the part number as T34716AM. It shows as: diaphragm, Non John Deere parts, available to order. Send Lavoy an email at postmaster@jdcrawlers.com , he might have a source to get one, or ideas of where to check.

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by JWB Contracting » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:10 pm

Can you post some pics of how your winch is mounted. I would have figured the deere winch would have been on the light side for a D3.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

hobbylogger
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by hobbylogger » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:58 pm

Thanks for the response. The Nortrax lead looks good, and while searching for that, I discovered another potential source for the part.

hobbylogger
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by hobbylogger » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:40 pm

Just a follow-up on my old diaphragm-operated clutch problem. I spent about three weeks searching for a replacement diaphragm without any luck. I did locate some of the adjacent steel parts for this old arrangement, and I discovered that there is a variation of the design that substitutes a piston, cylinder and some other parts for the diaphragm. I didn’t really search very hard for the parts to try this option though. However, i came up with the idea of making a 1/8-inch thick, neoprene copy of the diaphragm to fit inside the diaphragm to seal the leak. So far, it seems to be working. I don’t expect this to be a long-term solution, but it was an inexpensive and quick fix. Perhaps this will be useful information for the two other people on the planet who still own one of these odd-ball JD 3325s.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:49 pm

http://www.j-kequipment.com/winch_parts.html

These people are very knowledgeable. They have great selection of parts.

Best regards, Bruce

hobbylogger
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by hobbylogger » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:28 am

Flash forward and few years...The neoprene "gasket" I made, as expected, only got me through one season of logging. I found that the neoprene did not stand up to hydraulic oil very well. I tried a thicker piece of nitrile rubber, and it is still good after two seasons. I think this is a cheap and easy fix.