JD 450C loss of power when put in gear

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Heavy Chevy
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 450C loss of power when put in gear

Post by Heavy Chevy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:56 pm

I have a JD 450C that has recently started losing power when put in gear as well as it will not rev beyond about 1200 rpms. I changed the fuel filter yesterday and when I started it I thought problem solved as the rpms went to 2000. When i put in gear it died back down to 1200 and would not climb further. It will crawl slowly without stalling but no real power. I read other posts in the forum about the two small fuel filters in the tank and injector and I will try cleaning them next. I was wondering could it also be the turbo gone bad?

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD 450C loss of power when put in gear

Post by B Town » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:21 pm

I would check the vent in the tank to make sure it is open. The sump at the bottom of the fuel tank will need cleaned (it has been neglected for years). Make sure the fuel lines to the filter and the injection pump are clean,clear. Open the check valve on the injection pump return line. Check it for debris. Clear the return line to the tank. Those are a few things to start. Best regards, Bruce

Heavy Chevy
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Heavy Chevy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:59 pm

Thx Bruce, I will try those things when weather permits and post back.

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:41 am

Nor sure if your 450 has it or not but, the fitting coming out of the injection pump, on the return line, may be a check valve(one way valve). If it's faulty, the machine won't function properly.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:03 am

Check/replace fuel filters and search Mouse turds. I've had both situations but it sounds like the governor ring coming apart and plugging the check valve in the cover.
450C Track Loader
291457T

Heavy Chevy
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Heavy Chevy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:26 pm

Thanks much, the fuel injector pump does have the check valve on top and I will check it as soon as the weather permits. If I have to remove the pump, can I remove the pump without removing the front engine timing cover? Also, how do I ensure that I have the timing gears set correctly so if I have to remove, I can get the installation correct? Is that a difficult process?

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:14 pm

The IP can be removed easily, without any major engine component removal. Before removing the pump, identify a window in the bell housing. It should be on the same side as the pump just in front of the flywheel. There should be a small stamped steel cover bolted over the inspection window. The bolt holding this cover should have a long nipple end. As you turn the engine slowly by hand a hole in the flywheel will align with the inspection hole. The long bolt goes in when these are lined up. This will put and keep your timing in place.

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:27 am

Correct way (Readers Digest Condensed version) to remove the injector pump is 1st remove the little cover off the side of the injector pump, 2 screws hold it on. Underneath is where the timing marks are, turn the engine over counterclockwise as viewed from the flywheel end until you see the timing mark on the governor come into view in the window. The engine is now a TDC on the compression stroke, the pin hole for the flywheel will be close at that point.

Make a mark where the injector pump mounting flange is with relationship to the mount. After removing all the lines and mounting nuts the pump slides straight back off the shaft, the shaft remains in the engine. You will need to replace the 2 umbrella seals on the shaft, notice they are facing in opposite directions. Also, look at the in the shaft you will notice it has a tang with a dot, if you look inside the pump where the shaft goes you will see a slot with a dot, the dots must match up when you install the pump.

The reverse facing umbrella seal must be compressed to get it to go back into the pilot sleeve when installing the pump, if you turn it inside out you will have diesel fuel running into the engine oil. I have the tool, other have used wire ties to compress it.

This is very condensed but it will give you an idea as to what you up against.
450C Track Loader
291457T