Working on my 450 loader and I have questions

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Manchas1227
40C crawler
40C crawler

Working on my 450 loader and I have questions

Post by Manchas1227 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:32 pm

Hey guys. I have a 450 crawler that I am replacing the steering clutches on. As I was pulling the machine apart, I have discovered that the steel plates and fiber plates within the steering clutch are not in the greatest working condition. The steel plates are rusted as well as pitted. The rust from the steel plates has transferred to the fiber plates. I am wondering is there a way to save these and reuse them, or should I just count my losses and purchase new? I only plan on keeping the machine for a few more years, and then getting rid of it. I was looking for an option to fix this but also do not want to spend a huge amount of money on something that I don't intend on keeping forever.

Here are some pictures of what the steel plates and fiber plates look like:

Mikeforester
420 crawler
420 crawler

Re: Working on my 450 loader and I have questions

Post by Mikeforester » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:04 pm

Hi,

I'm always of the mindset of fixing things once, fixing it right, and being done with it. Those clutches are junk (steel and fibers). The brakes are probably also as bad. For me, I know if I didn't fix it right it would fail right in the middle of a project and I would end up fixing it again. Just my 2 cents.