Looking at a 350 B

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
scampr
440 crawler
440 crawler

Looking at a 350 B

Post by scampr » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:14 pm

I might go look at what i think is a 350 B . { i think its a B} My question is since i never had any experience with a 350 is there anything in particular to look for? I have read some of the posts on isolators and reverser is there something i need to check on those or just the operation of the reverser if it has one?? The add says the steering clutches need adjusting so i know what that means... haha... Thanks scampr
scampr 440icd, 350B, 47 Farmall H, 55 Farmall cub and ashamed to have a Kabota too

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Looking at a 350 B

Post by gregjo1948 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:33 am

Check for any separation between the reverser and the transmission. Check for loose or missing bolts between the finals and the rear end (steering clutch) housing. As always, check the wear on the track bushings and the sharpness of the sprockets. If it's drivable, check the distance you need to pull the steering levers to actuate the clutches and then to apply the brakes. Also, if it has power assisted steering, you should be able to pull the levers with "almost" one finger. If it's a B, the reverser lever will be on the left fender(battery box), not the dash. Lift the front of the dozer up with the blade and see if it will hold itself a while and while its up, shake the front idler (wheel), to see if the bearings are shot. If you can put it against an immovable object, see if the tracks will spin or the clutches slip. Check for smoke coming from underneath, out of the breather. (blowby)
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:46 am

I don't know there is much you can check on the isolator besides operation. It is good if it is cold (not run prior to your arrival) and gets started after you get there. Check fluids for levels and condition before and after operation. Look for leaks. Wiggle a fan blade to check the water pump. Look at the radiator for past damage or dirt build up. When operating see if gauges work. See that all the guards and belly pans are in place. Check/look for loose bolts and other hardware around the back of the engine, bell housing, reverser, and transmission, as much as you can see. Look for broken hardware or signs of looseness on the bolts that go through the frame rails to mount the drive train. Look at the mounting hardware of the track frames and final drives for looseness. Check the tracks, rolls, idlers, and sprockets get an idea of the amount of wear. Look under it, I looked at one once and it was parked such that the chunk of inside idler flange, about a foot long, missing was not visible when walking around it. Not saying that was intentional, but it was advertised as having a good undercarriage. Check to see if it has the power steering option. Try it out and see how it operates if possible. Of course check the serial number to find the year. I'm sure others will have more thoughts. Hope this helps.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:10 am

Hi,

When the isolator goes bad, it sounds as if an elf is in the bellhousing with a hammer when the engine is running.

The reverser works by hydraulics, so you don't need to use the clutch pedal. It has a slight pause from N to F or R and ought to smoothly modulate itself. It may or may not have an R in the trans. If it does, use the trans R with the reverser in F.

I don't know just when they began always installing a reverser prior to the C series. So, it may be a B without one. Probably has one, though. But just in case:

Non reverser 350's have an engine clutch. Reversers use their clutch packs to do that job and the clutch pedal is a hydraulic valve. That is used for inching. If it has no reverser, then you do need to always use the clutch pedal. Also, there will be an R in the trans and it is synced to 2 such that it always goes between 2 and R when you are stopped. Sort of like a one gear reverser simulator. :P

I think the rest has been covered.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

scampr
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by scampr » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:31 am

Thanks a lot I am well versed on the things to look at with the exception of the isolator issues and thought i had heard some reverser things on them too..I am well experienced on the lose housing from running them with the bolts lose especially between the clutch housings. I sold my 450C and hate the idea of going back to dry clutches but have done them enough on the 440s and 1010s to trust them with good care.Thanks again I will listen for the banging !!!!!
scampr 440icd, 350B, 47 Farmall H, 55 Farmall cub and ashamed to have a Kabota too

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:38 pm

Hi,

The isolator is made up of studs on the back of the flywheel, and a matching plate on the input shaft of the reverser, with springs in between. That allows for some flex between the two. When a spring comes loose, it flails around inside the bellhousing and makes the noise. If it falls all the way off, then there is banging as the reverser makes up the clutches inside and the now-unbalanced isolator jumps around too much.

The input shaft of the reverser has an oil pump on it, which runs the reverser clutch packs. One for forward and one for reverse. The reverser oil is inside the case and it has its own oil filter. On wet clutch machines, the reverser oil pump also pressurizes the steering clutches.

Sometimes a bad isolator causes damage to the reverser input shaft (seal, bearings, etc). It can also damage the oil pump in which case the reverser quits. But all this is pretty easy to tell once you are on the machine.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

scampr
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by scampr » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:45 pm

Thank you Stan that explains it well.I didnt get the time to go check it out maybe sometime this week . Its not like i need it but
it would be a lot nicer than the 440 ICD with large pine logs.

scampr
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by scampr » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:29 am

Went and looked at it today. Its a extremely clean looking 350B with the forestry package but no winch. I would call the undercarriage about 75=80% . The downfall is it hasnt been started in 2 years and he still says the steering clutches need adjusting
so i know what that means..lol I also get the feeling he thinks its worth gold too. He is going to put a battery in it this week and call me back so time will tell. I know prices vary all over but its a diesel with direction reverser ,outside push are blade and has the full rops with sweeps. Any thoughts on prices?? I am still unsure whether to sell my 440 ICD and go for it or not. Last time wife caught me with 3 dozers she didnt laugh... :D

scampr
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by scampr » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:23 pm

Well I bit the bullet and bought it and brought it home... If posting pics wasnt so hard to figure out i would post some.. I do know i have some work ahead of me the linkage is messed up on the right side for the brake when you pull the steering clutch I have had time to pull the cover off yet.. but with my luck i am sure its going to prob require pulling the final.. but the clutches work well.