Replacing Springs on Pressure Plate 450

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jgibbs
MC crawler
MC crawler

Replacing Springs on Pressure Plate 450

Post by jgibbs » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:04 am

Hey guys. I finally got the right steering clutch/ brake drum assembly out. I noticed there were some springs broken on the pressure plate but the frictions part of the pressure plate looks good. Have any of yall ever replaced the springs in the pressure plate to keep from buying a new one? If so how did it go and where did you get the springs from?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Replacing Springs on Pressure Plate 450

Post by Jim B » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:50 am

Send Lavoy an email at postmaster@jdcrawlers.com and see what he says/has. Personally given some springs broke I would replace the entire pressure plate. If the springs are breaking I expect there could be wear or other issues with the fingers, pins, pivots, not worth having to go back into it in a short time if something else fails. Lavoy should also have the gauge you need to set the pressure plate finger height when you reassemble the steering clutch pack, if you don't have one already.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:37 am

There are virtually no service parts available for pressure plates, only new or rebuilt ones. The rebuilders do not sell pressure plate parts, they sell rebuilt pressure plates.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

jgibbs
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jgibbs » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:18 am

Thanks guys. I figured I would be buying a new one but after seeing a post on here about someone relining their steering brake band it got my wheels spinning.

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:06 pm

there are places that rebuild clutches had one done in Michigan at Clucth Masters for a 350 they work mostly on heavy duty truck might check around your area

JIM

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:35 pm

I have new available, and can get rebuilt.
Lavoy

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:19 am

Don't know about most, but, if I've gone through the trouble and effort to get to the offending unit or pressure plate in this case, I'm going to replace it. My time is valuable to me.

Mine had a bad starter drive, I replaced the compleat starter with a newer gear reduction for about the same money and effort.
450C Track Loader
291457T

jgibbs
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jgibbs » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:01 am

DrLoch. I understand totally. It’s not a quick and easy job at all. Second question. What is the thickness on the clutches when new? They appear to be ok to me but this the the first time I’ve ever worked on any tracked equipment. I’m a auto mechanic by trade but this is about the furthest away from a toyota as you can get. I’ve got this far with countless hrs reading on these forums, jdpc for diagrams and hands on experience. When I picked this machine up it had been sitting for about 10 years.(parked because it wouldn’t steer on one side) The steels are rusted. I figured I would buy new ones (if they don’t clean up easily with some emery cloth) but didn’t know about the clutches. With 8 of them I wanted to save money where I could. It will be used around the house mainly, probably a couple full Saturdays in the beginning, but after those projects are completed maybe a couple hrs a month.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:35 am

Good morning,

I'm sure DrLoch will reply, but I will put in my two cents for what it is worth. You said it set for about 10 years because it wouldn't steer. You have a bad pressure plate, now you say the steels are rusty, but are looking at reusing the frictions. It is likely those have been affected/contaminated by the steels rusting. I won't use them. If they come apart soon after you get it going; you will be back into it to replace them and anything else that might get damaged. All these components work together and need to stack out right for best life. Start out right with new parts, including the throw out bearing. Adjust it properly and be done with it. Give Lavoy a call he has the right parts and will he help you out (Check out Lavoy's Little Shop O' Deere at the Board Index). You don't mention having a service manual. Stan has a post in the FAQ section showing the different manual numbers available for the different models. Lavoy can likely help with manuals as well as parts. If not go to http://www.johndeeretechinfo.com. You can find your model in the construction equipment and order manuals, printed, discs, or downloads. Service and operator's manuals (part manuals are on line as you know) are well worth having, as you say you are going to be keeping the machine. JMHO. Jim

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:36 pm

In a nutshell you are looking at doing what you would not likely recommend to a customer if it was a car. Skimping on crawlers will almost always bite you in the ass, been there, done that, don't do it any more. I don't like rework, especially on final drive and/or steering clutch work.
Lavoy

Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Cle Elum John » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:25 pm

jgibbs

I will replacing 450 steering clutches next spring. How many hours have you spent getting them out?

Also, are you going to replace both or just one? On mine, one side that seems ok, plenty of brake pad and no slipping, but with the issues of removing tanks and hydraulics, I am thinking of rebuilding both. At the very least taking the good one out to have a look. Also to take a look at the seals and bearings. What are your thoughts?

John
Reporting from the Peoples Republic of Washington State.

jgibbs
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jgibbs » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:39 am

Cle Elum John
Its hard to say how much time I have in it. A guess would be about 8 Hrs. If you take the track pin and a few rusted/broken bolts that had to be drilled out of that equation I would say about half that. But the next time will be faster. A little experience goes a long way in my opinion. Im only doing on side now. Since the machine has been sitting for so long I wanted to make sure all else is good before I put to much time/money into. I did crank it up and move it bake and forth before I stated tearing it apart but haven't run it long to see how it'll work.