Float detent for blade John Deere 350D

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Camp Creek
MC crawler
MC crawler

Float detent for blade John Deere 350D

Post by Camp Creek » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:37 pm

Have the spring problem and the winch problem fixed. The next issue is, the hydraulic control, will not stick in the float position. The control seems quite tight, everything seems to work as designed, the blade will float but I have to manually hold the control handle forward, if I let go it just moves back into the neutral position.
I this an internal issue or is it something that can be fixed outside the valve control. I’m thinking it is a function that is controlled inside the valve. That would be bad news, I’m not a very good hydraulic control tech. I guess i can always bungee it forward, I’m getting a little seasick holding it forward and backing up to backblade. It works but is not fun.
Any good ideas???

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Float detent for blade John Deere 350D

Post by Jim B » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:59 am

Good morning,

Your post should be in the "Late model JD crawler technical support" forum to get the attention it should have. Lavoy may move it over there when he sees it.

Assuming the valve is moving full stroke and into float position based on your description; it sounds like the detent section on the control valve has an issue with something in it coming loose, wear, or possibly a broken part, like a spring. The detent is the section on the outside of the valve body at the opposite end of the lift spool from the handle. Basically it has some balls (or other detent arrangement) and springs in it that hold the spool in the float position. You can see an exploded view in the parts catalog. There should be info on it in your service manual. Normally not to difficult of a fix.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:04 am

Moved.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:24 pm

Oh the bottom of your blade lift control valve spool is the detent for float. It has it's own adjustment screw that changes how hard you have to push the lever down to achieve float. If it is not grabbing at all, it may be broken, the screw may have fallen out or the end of the spool may be damaged.

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:29 am

I would think if, when you let go of the lever and it goes to the neutral position, something is strange. I think it would go into the blade down position because to apply "float", you move the lever from neutral thru the down position. After more thinking, I don't think there is any detent from neutral to up or down . You manually hold the lever until you reach the desired position. Maybe I should stop trying to think---I'm not good at it.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:59 pm

You would want the spool to return to neutral once you take your hand off of it. If it did not behave this way, the blade would lower/raise by itself, and unless his 350 has a GPS with autograde, that's not a good thing! :lol: To achieve the "float" position, you have to push the lever past the "lower" or blade down position, there is a definite detent, that way you don't have to continually hold the handle, and to also let you know you're transitioning from the full blade lower to float position