Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Manchas1227
40C crawler
40C crawler

Reuse fiber/steel plates for a 450?

Post by Manchas1227 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:16 pm

I was wondering do you think I can reuse my clutches from my 450 straight

Left side steel before sandblasting

After sandblasting. im not sure if they can be reused even if I smooth them out some.

(TOP LEFT) left side steel after sandblasting. (TOP RIGHT) left side fiber that will be replaced. (BOTTOM LEFT/RIGHT) steel and fiber from the right side

Image Image

im not sure if I can reuse the right side fiber and steel or if I should sand blast it like the left side and try to smooth it out and do you think It would be better to replace them. Also do you like the fiber plates or the metallic ones. I only plan on keeping this machine a couple more years and use it to clean up some rocks and piles of dirt left over on my property so I wouldn't like to put a ton of money into it. eventually ill be getting a 350/450 dozer for clearing paths on my hillsides.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Reuse fiber/steel plates for a 450?

Post by B Town » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:58 pm

No, I wouldn’t re-use the disks. I understand you will only use the machine a bit then move it on. The time and effort to get these replaced is too significant for me to not replace them. Also when re-sold I can have a clear conscience saying the work was done and done right. Just my opinion, Bruce

Mikeforester
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Mikeforester » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:22 pm

Hi,

These are junk. Fix it once, fix it right, and be done with it. See if Lavoy can help you with these parts, I'm sure he'll treat you fairly.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:32 pm

I agree with Bruce,it's not worth the risk of early failure. Contact Lavoy, I believe he posted recently that he had the clutches for the 450s. He will have quality parts and if there is a problem he will be there to help solve it. We have heard of folks buying a ''deal", then having a problem only to find out the supplier only sells parts, no idea of the workings. Just my opinion as well. Jim

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:42 am

Thickness is more important than finish, which will take care of itself in short order with use. You probably lost thickness with corrosion of the steels but the fiber thickness should not be affected (much). If you re-use the steels they will grind down the fibers.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:46 pm

Those plates are junk. But to put it another way, when you sell the crawler in a couple years would you like to advertise it as having low hours on new steering clutches and ask more money, or would you rather discount the price when you have to admit you cobbled it together with sub standard used parts?
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

DonE354
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by DonE354 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:16 pm

OK I too was going to ask a similar question about re using clutch disc parts and after reading the responses I now figure it is a very bad idea
I have a 450 straight as well (T5F3M 063564T ) so I am figuring somewhere around 1967 That said I am having a terrible time finding parts..... Tons of 450b nothing yet for the 450 straight especially the steering clutch parts throw out bearing and pressure plate... Have found full kit form for everything but the straight.... Is it the same for both? (As the 450 and 450b both used dry steering clutches) Are some parts interchangeable? I have a service manual on the way but am still looking for a parts list
Any help or ideas would be great Brand new here and this is my first post Thanks to all

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:34 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Good call not to reuse the old discs. It is enough work to do the job once not have to go back in sooner than you should have to because it saved a few bucks this time. Lavoy Wilcox, who provides this site for us to use, sells JD crawler parts. He specializes more in the earlier models but has some late model coverage as well. He has recently let us know he has/can get the steering clutch parts for the 450s. Drop him an email at postmaster@jdcrawlers.com and I expect he can set you up with what you need. Not all the steering clutches and brakes out there are made to the same standards so cheapest isn't always best. Lavoy works on crawlers and knows the ones that are quality, also if you have a question or problem he has the hands on knowledge to help.

You can access the free John Deere parts catalogs on line at https://jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.d ... nguage=19 .

Good luck,
Jim