gear oil turning white.

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
keith boucher
40C crawler
40C crawler

gear oil turning white.

Post by keith boucher » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:42 pm

I fear that I may have water seeping into my tranny of my 1965 350 crawler. Ive chaned the oil out twice and have checked for leaks and good seals everywhere. This machine does not have a reverser, just a simple gear transmission.. Is this machine known for any leaks or common issues with the tranny leaks??

Jimmy in NC
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jimmy in NC » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:43 pm

keith-

I have no experience with 350's .. but does it get used often and used enough to get all the cases and fluids warm? It could be condensation collecting as the castings 'sweat'. I dunno..

Jimmy in NC
1957 420C 4 roller 4 spd #61 blade 107,xxx ser.
Hand clutches, not for everyone.
Steering clutches, for even less.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:41 pm

check your transmision top for a bad gasket as that may let water in as well .Several years ago I bought a 850 B Deere that had a problem with water in the hydraulic oil .Previous owner got frustrated and sold it to me for one heck of a deal.I went to look into this and the rain came off the side of the cab and thrugh the side pannel then layed on the top of the oil tank .The top plate had a bad gasket so when this dozer got worm then cooled down the water would be sucked in with the cool down of the oil .I replaced the gasket and never had a problem with it after An 8 dollar repair and three years later it is still going strong .Digitup.