JD450C - What engine do I have? Need to source filters

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD450C - What engine do I have? Need to source filters

Post by Jim B » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:23 pm

Is your loader raised? Do you have a solid safety support under it? If not that is the first thing you need to take care of.

cjhusky
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by cjhusky » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:38 pm

Jim B wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:15 pm
Hi Chris,

Those are the filter numbers for a 450 direct from the parts catalog, unless I transposed a number.

Like Bruce said I think your engine tag is missing, the attached photos is a 4276 engine but the tags are in the same location. I don't know if you can tell the difference in the 202 and 219 externally. Hopefully someone will have that answer and we will all gain some knowledge on the matter.

Unless you are sure the radiator is bad, if you had access to a radiator pressure tester you might find the problem without pulling the nose.
Jim
the radiator petcock is stripped and the access to it with the hard-nosed on it is very difficult not. I'm assuming I need to pull the radiator. Hmm?

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:51 pm

Your tractor is early enough, it may very well be a 4202. I encourage you to do more research.

The straps that let the nose pivot forward are along the side of the nose and the bell pans that attach to the frame rails. Remove the 3 bolts from each side, remove the 4 under the nose, with the hood off the nose will tip forward. If the radiator needs removed you may end up removing the side straps (yours are pictured, pretty black/greasey).

cjhusky
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by cjhusky » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:52 pm

Jim B wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:23 pm
Is your loader raised? Do you have a solid safety support under it? If not that is the first thing you need to take care of.
Loader is raised an supported

I have removed the 6 upper bolts, but the hard nose will not budge....

cjhusky
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by cjhusky » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:59 pm

A little ghetto, but certainly strong enough :roll:

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:09 pm

It will do for now. "Down the road" I expect you will want to make a steel support to go on a lift ram, it will be quicker and easier to use.

Did you take the 4 bolts out underneath that hold the nose and front belly pan together?

Is the petcock stripped in the radiator threads or inside itself?

cjhusky
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by cjhusky » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:22 pm

Jim B wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:09 pm
It will do for now. "Down the road" I expect you will want to make a steel support to go on a lift ram, it will be quicker and easier to use.

Is the petcock stripped in the radiator threads or inside itself?
Fantastic idea on the steel support!!

Still not sure on the petcock.

Work like a charm the hard-nosed now swings away, but you have to remove the bracket on the hydraulic pump to be able to have it swing clear.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:32 pm

Chris,

I would look real hard at the petcock. It would seem the valve part would strip internal to the outer nut threaded into the radiator, from normal use, before the radiator threads would get stripped, unless someone was using a wrench and trying to pull the whole petcock out. It might be hard to get and take modifying a wrench or two but if you can get the petcock out and the radiator is ok you will save a fair bit of work.

The steel supports are standard now, yours might have had one with it when it was new.

Jim

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:56 am

Jim B wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:32 pm
Chris,
The steel supports are standard now, yours might have had one with it when it was new.

Jim
I built a set for a friends loader on his IH 80hp tractor a few years back.
Used new Schd 40 steel pipe cut a 1/2" or so shorter than the stroke of the cylinder, notched the one end to fit over the rod end, cut a section out of the side of the pipe and welded a piece of plate, shaped like a "C" on the other end to set on the cylinders gland. The mouth of the "C" was lined up with th section of pipe I removed.
Size the pipe at least 1-1/2" larger than the rod size of the cylinder 2" would be better.
You can make the "safety" shorter to fit in easier but remember the opening in the side of the pipe should always face the ground.
I used new pipe as using old rusty stuff for this tends to damage the chrome on the cylinder rods.
He is pretty happy with them, he has them painted fluorescent orange now.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade
Tools are to men as shoes are to women , you can never have too many !!
Used diesel engines are an adventure any way you look at them !!