350 Steering Clutch Adjustment Issue

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
conrad
MC crawler
MC crawler

350 Steering Clutch Adjustment Issue

Post by conrad » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:20 pm

Hey all,

Having an issue adjusting a steering clutch on my straight 350. I just replaced the clutch, pressure plate, and brake band. However, when I went to adjust the threaded ball jointed rod, i found that the lever on the throwout fork shaft was too far away, and i could not adjust the balljoint rod out far enough. Comparing it to the other side, (see photos), the throwout levers in their resting state are not in the same spot. Note how on the good side, the throwout lever with the ball on the end is closer to the front of the machine than the lever on the bad side. I tried removing the set screw holding the lever on the shaft so I could rotate the lever, but it seems there is a detent or flat on the shaft that only allows it to be tightened in one spot. The lever on the good side seems to have less free play (movement between its resting position and throwout bearing contacting the clutch fingers) than the lever on the bad side, too. Not sure what that indicates. Any ideas on how to fix this issue? This is the second clutch ive done and the first came out great, so I don't think I did anything wrong!

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350 Steering Clutch Adjustment Issue

Post by gregjo1948 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:05 am

Looks like you're missing an adjustment bolt on the opposite end of the lever from the ball socket.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:56 pm

The resting position doesn't really matter as long as you can adjust after connecting. You will have to use a prybar or screwdriver to move the ball to the rod end. THEN, after connecting, check free play and adjust by disconnecting the rod and shortening/lengthening it. The missing bolt is to adjust the brake and should have no bearing on clutch adjustment. It is typically adjusted after the free play is set. Only be concerned if you cannot adjust the free play.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

conrad
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by conrad » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:05 pm

I know the brake application bolt is missing, I took it out. It was in the way when i was messing around with this issue.

The problem is that the adjustment rod is too short, even with it screwed all the way out. This is because the resting position of the throwout lever is too far away, and it gets even farther away when i rotate the lever until the throwout bearing touches the clutch fingers.

And yes, I did properly adjust the clutch fingers with the same tool that i adjusted my previous 350 clutch with, which worked fine.

Conrad