Steering Booster assembly

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jdaniels0206
40C crawler
40C crawler

Steering Booster assembly

Post by jdaniels0206 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:13 pm

Where can I get a rebuild kit for a hydraulic steering booster for a JD 350 dozer?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Steering Booster assembly

Post by Jim B » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:46 pm

Good afternoon,

Do you have the part number for the kit? Lavoy may be able to help you out, send him an email (postmaster@jdcrawlers.com). Beyond that I would suggest a John Deere construction and forestry (yellow equipment) dealer. Some parts for the yellow equipment the Ag (green) dealers can get, some they can't. Likely it depends on whether the ag equipment uses the same part. At least that seems to be the way it works with the AG dealer I use for our wheel tractors.

In regards to your post about one booster moving better than the other, a couple thoughts: if you haven't confirmed the booster is the problem. Are you sure the brake and steering clutch adjustments are correct on the side that is not moving as far? Also it appears the two boosters are the same, perhaps you could swap them and see if the problem moves with the booster.

Not a big issue but, you should post for your 350 in the late model section for best attention, likely just a slip as you were there on your other post.

jdaniels0206
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by jdaniels0206 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:52 pm

Thank you for the info! I’m very new to this I honestly didn’t know where I was posting I will watch it from now on! I’m gonna try swapping them and see if it makes any difference! Would the booster sticking on the left side have anything at all to do with the drive not working on the left side?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:27 pm

I will guess, that if it wasn't fully returning, it might hold the clutch disengaged. Something in the linkage way out of whack, broken, or binding might possibly do similar. If you compare the two cylinders does the left one look longer than the right one? If you remove the steering clutch inspection covers can you see if the left side has clearance between the throwout bearing and pressure plate fingers, you can compare to the right side which you say is working.

jdaniels0206
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by jdaniels0206 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:41 pm

The two cylinders look identical but on the back side the cylinder on the left side appears to be out further like it’s not releasing all the way! We adjusted the brake and clutch to manufacture specs but it actually had no brake on the left side when we did! The brake adjust bolt is fully threaded in on the left side to get any brake at all! I will look down in to check the distance between the throw out bearing and pressure plate when I get back over there! We could here the throw out bearing hit the pressure plate when we were adjusting it but, if that steering booster is holding something out of wack from what you said that could very well be keeping the clutches from locking in and any adjustments wouldn’t be right until that is corrected. Does that sound right to you? Gonna try swapping those cylinders tomorrow and I’ll let you know how it goes!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:58 pm

Compare the two sides. If there is no clearance at the throwout bearing on the left that could be the problem. If there is clearance but the pressure plate fingers don't set the same (look like they are pushed in) as the right side that could be a problem within the pressure plate. If the cylinder has not released your clutch and brake adjustments won't be right. Swap the cylinder and see if the right acts like the left, only costs some time.