JD 350 Starter Issues

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Talltine9
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 350 Starter Issues

Post by Talltine9 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:32 pm

Hi, I recently installed a new starter and fuel pump on my dozer after reading the aftermarket starter/fuel problem that I found a posted topic on May 10th, 2012. I have the same starter but added the high lift fuel pump for clearance. My question is how to wire up the starter? From the picture on that post I can't see the back of the starter. I put new batteries in and it started great. Then after using it I unhooked the batteries because of previous issues with older batteries then hooked batteries back up and they are dead. Is it possible the batteries are getting drained when it is running? Thanks for the help.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD 350 Starter Issues

Post by Jim B » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:16 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Is this the post you are referring to? viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7163&p=37038&hilit= ... ump#p37038 . I don't understand your needing to see the back of the starter. It looks to me like all the wiring is there for a diesel. The positive battery cable on the large post and the small wire from the switch to engage the solenoid. The solenoid likely has 2 small terminals, one is start and the other would be for bypassing the ignition resistor on a gas engine, it is not used on a diesel. The start terminal is often marked with an S beside it and the resistor bypass may have an R (some might use an I for ignition).

Yes, it is possible for batteries to be drained while running; if your charging system isn't working or if you have a short. Some other possibilities are you could have a bad ground, a bad cable, a broken or chafed wire(s), or a bad connection somewhere. There are many possibilities and the answers to some questions from you can make it easier for folks to help you.

Which 350 do you have; straight 350, 350B, 350C, or 350D? Is it diesel? Do you have the John Deere Service or Technical manual for your crawler? What do you mean by batteries are dead? Nothing at all or they turn it over slowly? Have you done any testing with a voltmeter? What is the battery voltage? What is the voltage on the battery cable at the starter terminal? Do you have 12 volts at the start terminal of the solenoid when you try to start it? Have you gotten it restarted or is it still no start? If you got it to start did you charge the batteries or boost it? What is the voltage at the batteries when it is running about 1/2 throttle? What is the voltage at the battery terminal of the alternator when it is running? What is on it for an alternator? External voltage regulator? Is the fan belt tight? Somethings to check and answer to start with.

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:18 am

Possible that one battery is bad and draining the other. New doesn't always mean good. I'd test the batteries first.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

Talltine9
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Talltine9 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:34 am

Yes that is the post that I am referring to. I have a 350B diesel and do have a service manual for it. The batteries do nothing at all. Put a charger on them and all I got was a click. Have not done any testing with a voltmeter yet. Thought maybe something on the starter was hooked up wrong because we didn't have any issues before changing the starter. Going to test the batteries today and get new ones either way so I can at least get it started and do the testing that you suggested with a voltmeter and hopefully find the culprit. Thanks for all the troubleshooting tips. I really appreciate it and will let you know what we find out. Thanks

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:56 am

It sounds strange that new batteries would go that quickly to the point they won't charge on a charger. You said in your first post you put new batteries in it. Were they new or just new to the crawler? You hooked them (2 each 12 volt, group 30, 625 CCA or more) up with both negatives to ground and both positives to the cable going to the starter? As posted, and your plan, get them checked out.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:32 am

Hi,

All it takes is one cell out of the 12 to have some lead sulfate drop such that it is touching under the plates. Even disconnected, but with both batteries in parallel, the one with the shorted cell will drop the good one so then both are drained. Then, the starter won't do anything even with a large charger attached.

You need to observe the voltage rise rate on each battery with them isolated. Then, you can ID the bad one. After which, you just go get new ones anyway. You run the battery test to make sure it is a battery and not just a connection. I hate buying new batteries instead of just cables.

I had this happen on my JD 350C last fall. And, it has a master disconnect switch. So, I knew I had lost a cell right away. Then, it happened on my Ford F350 last month. I am battery poor these days. ;)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)