New Owner, in desperate need of guidance!

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Dhbaker84
MC crawler
MC crawler

New Owner, in desperate need of guidance!

Post by Dhbaker84 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:47 pm

First I would like to thank the administration and members for granting me permission to be in the club. My father in law and I purchased a 350b in great shape about a year ago! I used her for a few jobs like duck impoundment, digging out my lot and a few little jobs. I’ve never had a minute trouble with her until about a week ago.

Back history: When I bought her I was very intimidated by her, her power, and her many moving parts. I kept it simple, I gave her a fresh oil change and filter. I bought it from a local man here in Southern Delaware who used it for building chicken houses. He has many, this is his smallest. I have her original technical support book and in it is tens of thousands of dollars with if itemized receipts of repairs, maintaince, and services.

After unloading her at the house yesterday to give her a nic was bath I noticed she was tough locking into a gear with the clutch enguaged. Never before had I experienced this. After grindin into a gear, she creeped into reverse and wouldn’t stop. I had to turn her off. Even after moving forward in say 2nd, when I hit the clutch to go to N then R she’s already on the move backwards. I checked the filler neck beneath the air cleaner at my feet and the “dip stick” on that is DRY. After reading I believe that’s the reverser. In the box to my right as I sit in the seat, after lifting it there are several hoses and a resiviour that screws off much like a fuel cap. What goes in that! I wish there was a video some could make that is a step by step process of a full fluids and air cleaner service. I would pay $$ for that video! Any help would be appreciated! My email is greenwingdillon@aim.com and am willing to give my phone ## as well. This is my first post, I have several videos and pictures of her working hard in the fields I would love to share. Thanks!

jbloam
420 crawler
420 crawler

Re: New Owner, in desperate need of guidance!

Post by jbloam » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:52 pm

Though I am a novice also I am a fairly recent owner of a straight 350, I can answer 2 of your questions. Yes that is the reverser dip stick and fill neck at your right foot below the air cleaner. It should not be dry and I suspect this may be your issue. The reservoir in the box under your right arm is the hydraulic fluid reservoir for the blade. I would also check your tranny fluid level which is the dipstick on the floor behind your left foot. I would suggest getting an operators manual and repair manual and keep on reading everything you can on this site. I have learned tons on here. Awesome place.

Dhbaker84
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Dhbaker84 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:14 pm

Thank you so much! I’m going to dig into it first thing Monday! For the reverser, I’ve read it will take any kind of hydraulic trans fluid, I picked up new holland brand 2.5 gallons and the new holland guy warned me about what I put in her, brand wise. Also in the trans, I can fill the trans and other mechanical parts right from that trans check fill correct? The hydraulic cap didn’t have a way for me to see how much was in there and the sight holes were pretty cloudy over so not sure what I can and cannot see. I appreciate your reply and will update as time goes on! Would love to be able to post videos and pictures.

jbloam
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by jbloam » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:53 pm

Yes you will fill the reverser and tranny both through their dipstick holes. The reverser also has a filter in it. You may want to change that if you are unsure when it was changed last. My 350 doesn't have a tranny filter but I don't know about the 350B. As far as the hydraulic level, you may be able to measure down along the outside of the reservoir to midway down your sight window, then put a dip stick down inside, mark the top of the reservoir on the stick and measure down from that mark to the wet line on the stick when taken out.
You may also be able to see light coming through the glass if you look insde the tank and see if your fluid level is above or below it. My 350 doesn't have the hydraulic filter either. Yours may so it might be a different arrangement than mine.

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:15 am

I'm assuming that you have a reverser. The "clutch" pedal doesn't separate the engine from the reverser or transmission. It actually stops the hydraulic flow to the reverser. The reverser lever simply directs the flow to the forward-neutral-reverse within the reverser. You didn't say if the machine is leaking fluid externally. The first thing you should do is check all fluid levels. If all are at correct levels, I'd check the reverser lever adjustment. It might be trying to engage f-n-r into 2 positions at once. When working correctly, the "clutch" doesn't need to be depressed to change direction. The clutch can be used to inch(creep) f or r when your in a tight spot.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:55 am

There is a filter element inside the reverser case (part number AT15088 subs to AR 26530 according to parts catalog PC921). The CaseNH oil is likely ok, but on the container it should reference John Deere spec J20C to be the most current. Hy-Gard is the JD oil for most of their hydraulics, transmissions, and wet clutches/brakes. Look for the meets or exceeds the JD J20C spec on any oil you get for it.

You don't say if you have a loader or dozer. You say you have the original manual, is it JD # SM2063? Here is a link to a post on the FAQ board from Stan Disbrow listing the JD numbers for many of the manuals for different machines. Scroll down to 350 and you can choose the numbers of the ones that apply to your machine. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10109 . An Operator's manual can help with what oil and filter is where and all the other service info. If you don't have a parts book and you don't know about the site for on-line access to JD parts books go to https://jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.d ... anguage=19 . Lavoy (postmaster@jdcrawlers.com) can help you with manuals as well. If you have the right service manual it should have the adjustment procedure in it that gregjo1948 mentioned.

Dhbaker84
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Dhbaker84 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:13 am

Ok thank you gentlemen for all of your info!!!!! I cant tell you how much i appreciate this. I went to her yesterday and I filled the Reverser with 2gal of oil. I checked the transmission fluid dipstick, it appears to be overly full and yellow in color like normal motor oil. This would lead me to believe it has water in it and needs to be drained immediately. Despite knowing that, i let the machine warm up for 20 minutes with the reverser now full to specs, i attempted to put her in gear. I still have the same problem. With the clutch depressed, reverser lever in N, she will not bite a gear with motor rpms as low as shell go (800)she just grinds which i only let do for a second. If the gears are in neutral, i depress the clutch and put the reverser in R and dump the clutch nothing changes. If i put the reverser in F and dump the clutch, she engages like shes wanting to go but i have it in no gear and she goes under a load. Can tell that by the change in sound, smoke, and well you just know shes loaded. If i were to grind it into a gear, she would creep backwards. No matter if the reverser is in F, N, or R. Im going to dump my trans fluid and go from there but i sure wish there was someone in the area who has a shop with a wealth of knowledge i could take her too and learn the right way. I dont want my inexperience and over ambition to hurt a machine built to last many years. I am definitely upset im in this predicament and do not want to do more damage then i already have or what is occurring. Again, i live in Dagsboro DE but would be willing to take her just about anywhere within 100 miles or so to be treated like the queen she is and receive proper medical attention. If a video of whats occurring would better help some of you in understanding, i would be glad to occur all thats happening and send to anyone. Thank you so much for your time and input.

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:52 pm

I had one like that. The reverser would not completely disengage from reverse until it warmed up. Always thought it was a warped plate, but too lazy to fix it since all I had to do was warm it up with the transmission in any gear and the reverser in neutral. Worked fine after a few minutes. It would really bog down the engine in forward until it was warm, but warmed up faster if I could move forward a while.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:19 am

There are relief valves in the reverser control unit. They are accessed from under the machine on the left side of the trans.. You may have a stuck or "dirty" valve. You can see the valve body from the top left. If I remember, look inside the frame beside where your feet would ride. You'll see hydraulic lines fastened to it. There are 3 or 4 hex head "bolts" facing down that you'll see from below. When you remove them the fluid will drain and be sure to catch the parts that come out. They are spring loaded. I think one has a smaller head which is the one that is used to adjust the engagement speed of the reverser. You want it to engage quickly but, not to slam in which, can cause damage. If you can jack up the rear of the dozer 4"-6" and put blocks under the sprockets it will make it much easier to get under the machine. Remember to put a catch pan under it because there will be a lot of fluid draining when you remove the valves. Hope you can understand my ramblings and I hope some other guys might correct anything I've remember wrong.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by JWB Contracting » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:48 pm

My concern is that your reverser bearings are bad. Is it leaking much oil between the engine and reverser?
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:30 am

If blocking her up....always use solid wood blocking....do NOT use cement blocks..!!!

i would have her blocked up so the tracks will spin and you can see just what is happening and be able to get under to do work. cement floor or solid wood preferable....not nice on gravel