Transmission oil change

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
pc builder
MC crawler
MC crawler

Transmission oil change

Post by pc builder » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:28 am

I have what I believe to be a 67-68 350 gas dozer with no reverser. I want to change the oil in the transmission as I believe there is water in it. Motor doesn`t turn in neutral when below freezing, but will roll over when clutch is engaged. I have a manual. it does not show where to drain. I suspect there must be a low point plug under there somewhere. Looks like a filler point under the seat on top of the transmission.
What is a good oil for an eastern Maine climate? Wont be used too much in the winter, but would like to have the ability to.
Thanks

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Transmission oil change

Post by Jim B » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:18 am

Just so everyone looking is on the same page. What is your crawler serial number? What is the name and publication number, if one, of the manual you have?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:52 am

Look for a ¾” plug in the bottom of the transmission/differential case about in line with the final drives. The ¼" plug may drain a low spot in the transmission end. Should be a hole in the belly pan to get to it. It has been years since I changed one, so I may be wrong. If it does have water in it you need to get it well warmed up so any ice is melted.

If you don't have a parts manual go to https://jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.d ... nguage=19 where you can find the free on-line parts catalogs.

Put 350 in the box for the model search. When the drop down opens on the page with all the models having 350 in them somewhere you can select the 350 crawler (PC 921). Look at the transmission case diagram and you will see items 9 (1/4" plug) and 22 (3/4" plug), which will give you an idea of their location. I will leave the oil recommendation to others, but I believe you could use JD Hy-Gard (or other universal tractor fluid meeting or exceeding John Deere spec J20C) or 80W gear oil in yours as it doesn't have a reverser.

You say the engine won't turn over in neutral but will when the clutch is engaged. You mean disengaged don't you? Disengaged on the engine clutch is when you push on the pedal, separating the engine and transmission so to speak. On a steering clutch, disengaged is when you pull on a lever.

pc builder
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by pc builder » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:54 pm

Thanks, For the record the serial # is 4F1C 027613T. I have service manual 2063

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:41 pm

That is the right service manual. The other manual you may want to get is an operator's Manual. Those have more of the service and adjustment info owners/operators do in them. The current Operator's manual publication number at John Deere Bookstore is OMT32423. You may find some older used ones with a different number, be sure it is for a dozer not loader and your serial number falls in it. It looks like your serial number is in the 1966 range by the list on the FAQ Board.

You should also put posts for your 350 on the Late Model Crawlers Board instead of this Early Model Board in the future. Lavoy may move it over there.

pc builder
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by pc builder » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:59 am

Thanks for the pointers, I will source out an Operators Manual.