Power Steering Oil Line

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jgbanshee
420 crawler
420 crawler

Power Steering Oil Line

Post by jgbanshee » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:45 pm

I need to fix or replace the oil line that brings oil back to the power steering cylinders. There is a leak in it along the transmission housing. My JD dealer claims that he cannot get the line from JD. Is it as simple as a steel flared line like brake line? If worse comes to worst, I guess I could cut the line at the hole, flare, and add fittings?

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:13 pm

that line is a fair size but industrial repair shops should be able to reproduce it .Was it rubbing on some thing or did it crack .I have brazed mine up till I could get one from a wrecker . I would get it brazed but it may not last so mabey start looking for one .I had a line rub thrugh from the dirt shield under the rad on my old 450 B .I brazed it up and it is still working for the presant owner today . Other times I am not that fortunate.Good luck .Digitup.

jgbanshee
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by jgbanshee » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:36 am

The line rubber the side of the transmission housing and looks like a pin hole wore through. The line is 1/2 in. O.D. It looks like the previous owner tried to repair once before with some type of "glue." Is that oil line flared at the end like brake lines on car?

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:58 pm

Yes it is flaired and should be a 45 degree not a compound flair so it wont be hard to duplicate if you have to make one I guess that is also one of those things to look at on a crawler I cover and strap all lines ,wires and hoses at the rub points just to keep down time to a minimum .When I get a machine that is one of those things you sometimes never think about but my two new 550 Js have a bad rub spot on them and my oldest one is at 1000 hours in 5 months and was nearly rubed through on the fuel line .So it can happen to the new stuff also.The older ones were made with seamed tube and the seam leaked after they flexed too much also.So we should watch that they dont move to much as well. Check that glue and see if you should remove it brazzing is the only thing that might hold that pressure If you buy a used line watch for those rub areas .Good luck .Digitup.