Anyone remove a track chain link on a 450b?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
laskin
MC crawler
MC crawler

Anyone remove a track chain link on a 450b?

Post by laskin » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:55 am

Hey all, While putting my 450b under carriage back together I noticed my front idler wheels are only about a 1/2 inch from the end of the rail with a fair amount of slack still in the track. So I'm thinking I should remove a link from my track chain. I did it on one side just to see where things end up and the front roller was about 3 or 4 inches from the end of the rail with plenty of clearance behind the roller. The problem is I will have to shorten my tensioner pistons my cutting 3 inches off the back. Im just unsure how much the front roller pushes back on the tensioner and spring? The yoke the piston slides into is about 8" deep with a slight taper. So the piston will slide in the yoke and bottom out at about "5.5. I dont think I want the piston riding too deep in the yoke otherwise the the cup seal on the piston could be damaged if the yoke pushes back and the piston bottoms out in the yoke. Or will the grease prevent that. Or am I over thinking it? Im sure my track pins are getting wore out and need to be replaced or turned but the budget is running out on this project and I know they will last a amateur like me many years.

Any thoughts or concerns? Thanks

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Re: Anyone remove a track chain link on a 450b?

Post by JWB Contracting » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:35 am

Keep running it until the idler is all the way to the front of the track chain. Keep your tracks tight. If you shorten the rod you will be short if the machine gets new rails at some point in time. Rails will be at 100% wear, however you can get some more hours out of them by removing a link. If the rest of the undercharge is in the same condition you have nothing to lose.

One of our yard 450’s just got this treatment. Rails and pads came out of the dumpster at work 11 years ago from a 550G sideboom. When it’s time we have new or as new on hand. We have rock guards which helps. Machine gets about 200 hours a year on it. Grapple will be going on it next fall to clean up some deadfall at my acreage. Spring came early this year so didn’t get it done this past winter. I have no concerns using it this way.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

laskin
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: Anyone remove a track chain link on a 450b?

Post by laskin » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:10 pm

Thanks for your post JWB. I did end up cutting "2.5 inches off the tensioner pistons everything looks pretty good. yes I was thinking that they will be short if I put new rails on someday but it will last me a long time. My machine dosen't get many hours either. I bought it 10 years ago to clear my land and build a house then I thought I would get rid of it. I now have a 9450 Hoe for it and its just to handy to get rid of.