JD450C Transmission case leak/repair.

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
KSS Const.
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD450C Transmission case leak/repair.

Post by KSS Const. » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:13 pm

Found an oddity on the bottom of my transmission case that looks like an old repair. About four inches in front of the drain plug there is what looks like the ends of a cotter pin sticking out of the bottom of the case. The tines are bent outwards. It wasn't leaking until I disturbed it while cleaning the underside after an unrelated repair. The only thing I can think of is that someone repaired a leak from the inside with a cotter pin and oakum or something and said, "yeah, that'll hold 'er." Surprisingly it did until I came along. Any suggestions of what it is and how to deal with it would be much appreciated.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD450C Transmission case leak/repair.

Post by B Town » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:59 pm

Is it possible the hole is there to allow drainage in a non-oil filled cavity, such as a clutch bell housing. I have seen people put split pin in those holes to discourage insect migration, water intrusion, etc..... if it truly into a oil cavity, my advise would be to remove the oil, completely. Rinse the area with a solvent such as brake clean. Also to thoroughly dry. If no oil drip, I would then weld it shut. These cases are cast steel an weld very easily, if prepped properly and no oil. Can you post a pic?
Best regards, Bruce

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:05 pm

I don't think it is an oddity. If it is in the bottom of the clutch housing, which is just ahead of the transmission case, there is supposed to be a cotter pin in the weep hole there. It is supposed to be loose to help keep the hole open to allow any oil that leaks to drain out and not contaminate the clutch. They can get plugged over time. If oil continues to leak out that hole as time goes on; you will need to pull the engine and fix seals. Keep the cotter pin free and the hole open. The cotter pin shows in the parts catalog on the clutch housing page. HTH
Jim

KSS Const.
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by KSS Const. » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:42 am

Thank you, gentlemen, for the quick and correct answer. After scraping more mud the seam between the clutch housing and Trans. case was revealed. I checked the trans. case parts diagram before I posted but didn't realize it was the clutch housing. Thanks also for the advice to watch for continued dripping there. Once the plate is back on I wouldn't have thought to monitor that.

Claus
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Claus » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:47 pm

I know this is kind of off topic but on the same lines at the same time. A year and a half ago I bought a 450C track loader for cleaning my fence rows up, after using it literally two days a bearing went out in the transmission and two gears got on top of each other and bad things happened. I stopped using it immediately. Thank God for my uncle volunteering His time, expertise and pole barn. We replaced all of the bearings, races, seals, shims, counter shaft and gears, etc.... broken parts went into the ring and pinion so that got replaced too. Then we replaced the reverser pump (the housing was scorned and the screen was plugged) and gears (new parts), that was expensive! Main clutch, throw out bearing, pilot bearing and rear main seal. New Auto Meter Gauges, K+M seat cushions, Delco alternator and new battery. Want to replace the exhaust stack and pipe through the hood yet. Just saying....when you split one of these things one thing leads to another and none of it is cheap. Can't really do things half way as I never want to be this deep in the machine again!!