450 Fuel wont Bleed after Fuel Filter replacement

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

450 Fuel wont Bleed after Fuel Filter replacement

Post by Jim B » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:04 pm

Good afternoon 450FiveString,

I'm moving your question to new post so it doesn't get mixed up in who did what and the answers in that other post.
by 450FiveString » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:30 pm
I just changed the filters in my straight 450 and have exactly the same problem. The filters I took off had no markings so I don't know the brand. I put Baldwin filters on and they have holes in the top just like those I took off. I've got fuel coming out of the mechanical pump and the line is clear to the filter housing. Filter #1 fills the glass bowl partially but nothing comes out of the bleeder. When I took off the original filters there were 2 seals on top. It appears that the one in the housing groove was never removed.
The Baldwin filters (BF825 ?) should be fine. You answered one question, you have the filters with the holes in the top, not the Wix, NAPA type with the groove a gasket can get into. There should be only one seal in the grooves of the filter housing to seal the top rim of each filter element.

The fuel flows in the side to the center of the first filter (the one with the glass bowl). It goes up through the filter and across to the second filter and down the center of it. It goes up through that filter and exits at the top where it goes to the injection pump.

Did you change the filters as part of a normal service or was it because of an issue you felt was fuel related? I assume you are using the primer lever to fill the filters. If it is not getting much stroke you may want to try bumping the engine a bit to get a better stroke. How much have you pumped it? Sometimes it takes quite a bit. Do you have the bleeder screws open on both filters? You might want to take them out and make sure the slot in them is not plugged. Some basics as a starting point.

Jim

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450 Fuel wont Bleed after Fuel Filter replacement

Post by gregjo1948 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:37 am

Do you fill the filters before installing?
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:30 am

thats not possible to fill first assemble and fill with primer lever on fuel pump !

JIM S

450FiveString
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by 450FiveString » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:32 am

I changed the filters because the engine lost power and died. The dozer had been sitting for several years but started right up and I have started several times with now problems but when I took these off there was definitely a lot of nasty stuff there. I suspect there is some trash somewhere causing the problem. I'm going to take the filters off today and check flow one step at a time. I did pump the manual pump many times and used the starter some but decided I better check for trash before go any further.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:00 am

Given it set for several years, you may want to check the check valve in the fitting where the fuel return line hooks to in the pump. If the flex (pellethane) ring in the injection pump is breaking up, the pieces (aka mouse turds) from it may be plugging the fitting. That can cause poor running. If it starts to die back, try loosening (loosen, no need to remove) the 2 screws holding the little metal cover on the side of the pump, allowing some fuel to leak out. If the engine picks back up with the fuel leaking out, it is another sign there is a problem in the pump and it needs to be overhauled. There are a number of posts here about that condition.

450FiveString
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by 450FiveString » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:32 am

It appears that the problem was a simple one. I pulled the dozer into my barn until I could check it out. The place where it died was a slight grade with the front uphill. After putting it in the barn I went to check it yesterday and the glass bowl on filter #1 was full. I started pumping the mechanical pump and sure enough fuel came out of the bleeder then I could see bubbles on bleeder #2. Continued pumping and got fuel at bleeder #2. Now I just need to charge the battery and hopefully bleed the injectors and it will start.