JD 450 Engine Replacement

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Truenorth
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 450 Engine Replacement

Post by Truenorth » Sat May 11, 2019 9:22 am

Hi JD Experts!

I'm looking for some advice on the best plan to install a rebuilt engine in my JD bulldozer (1968 straight 450 dozer). I use it for home use on my property. The original engine got a pin hole in the sleeve causing the cylinder to freeze up. I have found a long block rebuilt engine (identical to the original) as a replacement. I hired a local guy (who's day job is a full time auto mechanic) to remove the old engine in my garage. My question is would it be ok to have him re-install the engine? Or should I be trying to find an experienced JD mechanic in my area (Michigan Western UP) that knows the little details of a proper installation. I do own the big service manual that he could use as reference. The dozer was working fine before the engine died so just want to get it back to work. One additional fact is he removed the engine over 5 years ago and it sat all of these years because I was too busy at work and didn't need the dozer at the time. Now I could use a dozer and want to get it running again.

Thanks for any advice!

Truenorth

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD 450 Engine Replacement

Post by dtoots1 » Sat May 11, 2019 10:47 am

while engine is out, would be good idea to check clutch, pressure plate, possible broken worn out parts, and clean clutch mechanisms and pilot bearing, any doubts replace.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat May 11, 2019 2:07 pm

Welcome to the site.

I would expect a full fledged mechanic wouldn't have a problem doing this. If he took it out I would expect he can put it back in. Are you helping him? You say you have a long block rebuilt engine. Is it a long block (no accessories) or a complete rebuilt engine (accessories, injection pump, water pump, transfer pump, etc.) You say you have the manual (John Deere service manual # SM2064?), so that is available as a guide. Your mechanic can review the manual. Does he fell confident doing it? If the injection pump and injectors are not in place on the replacement engine does he feel ok timing it? There maybe other adjustments that will need to be made as it goes back together, but they should be covered in the manual. I would agree with dtoots1 about checking things over in the clutch area and front of the transmission while its open. Check the clutch section of your manual; you likely need a gauge to set the fingers on the pressure plate if you renew the clutch (you will never be any closer to it). Email Lavoy at postmaster@jdcrawlers.com about the gauge and parts you may need. If you have looked things over here, you know his business provides this site for us.

Your 450 falls in the Late Model Crawlers and your future posts should be on that board as that is where most of the folks with the later models (350, 450, and after) check in regularly. Lavoy may move this over when he sees it.

Jim

Truenorth
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Truenorth » Sat May 11, 2019 3:53 pm

Thanks Jim and dtoots1 on the feedback! I will definitely add the clutch etc to the inspect/repair list. My mistake on using the wrong forumn :(

Yes, my son and I will be providing physical help. I also thought I would keep doing research for him to get input as we work through the project. It is a long block with no accessories. The manual I have is the SM2064. The engine rebuilder told me about the injector timing as they have the engine side of the timing already set and zip tied to hold it in place so we'll need to set the injector side of it. I will definitely email Lavoy as you say to get the gauge and parts as suggested. I haven't actually asked my mechanic yet as I wanted to get some input on going that route. It would be definitely easier to just have him work on it in my garage rather than transport everything to another location.

Again, thanks for the feedback from both of you. I will use the proper forumn in the future.

Truenorth