Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

3315 Winch Hydraulic Valve

Post by Jason37756 » Sat May 11, 2019 2:17 pm

Pictures on pintrest

https://www.pinterest.com/jasonj1877/hydraulics/

I am re plumbing the spool valve hoses on my 3315 winch which is on a 350 straight.

I have read several post and seem to have found a few errors with what was said on those post.

Does anyone know the correct connections between the valve and the winch.

Here is how mine is connected (as pictured)

Line 1) far right on the winch to front center valve port (clutch)
Line 2) far left (secondary return) on the winch to top right valve port
Line 3) filter on the winch to side right valve port (return)
Line 4) center on the winch to side left on the valve port (pressure line / brake release)
- I assume when this line is "closed" the brake cylinder is pressurized and when open it allows fluid to flow into the valve.

I feel like the detent would be set on the brake in order to get off the dozer and choke a log. This is accomplished by pulling or pushing the valve stem forward ( as pictured).

I feel like the filter and secondary returns lines are correct. The other two are a bit of a question. I feel like I understand the oil flow, but when compared to the manual (not a great diagram) I feel like the brake and clutch lines are backwards.

I have turned the winch by hand and am able to push oil back to the filter, to the clutches, as well as the secondary return line (far right on the winch...passenger side). I cannot see any fluid flow to the brake cylinder, but I would think that is normal IF I am simply blocking the flow at the valve and controlling it to the cylinder.

A post that I read had the filter line and the other return line switched. I determined that this was incorrect by turning the winch by hand and noticed the fluid was not going thru the filter first. The secondary return was catching "burps" of fluid as I turned the shaft and worked the valve between positions.

The valve has two additional lines coming out of it. One for the brake release and the other for the clutches. I determined which one was the clutch line by turning the winch by hand and seeing fluid flow from the pressure inspection plug on the side of the winch.

I understand I cannot fully engage the spool or disengage the break because I can't produce the required pressure, but believe my connections are correct due to fluid flow. If I am wrong please correct me.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 3315 Winch Hydraulic Valve

Post by Jim B » Sat May 11, 2019 3:59 pm

I don't have anything but your photos to go by so -- I maybe wrong here. Your manual doesn't have a schematic of the oil lines and flows for the different functions I take it. (Right/left, front/back, top/bottom are based on setting in the seat)

I am thinking you have a remote valve (not mounted over a supply port in the winch case like the rotary valves are), it needs an oil supply from the pump to do anything. I think the supply from the pump is the port on the far right, front of the winch case, not a secondary return. Based on the page from your manual, It looks like that supply is going to the correct (left top) port on the valve. Next it looks to me like the hose from your front valve port should go to the lower left port in the winch case. The right port from the valve should go to the upper left port in the winch case. The hose to the filter appears to be coming off the correct port.

The brake is spring applied. It needs pressure when the clutch pack gets pressure for "wind in". For "free spool" the brake will receive pressure, but the clutch pack will not get pressure.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sat May 11, 2019 4:15 pm

jason37756,
i have sent you a private message...i will be passing thru Huntsville on my way to Crawford, if timely i could stop and jaw a bit. send private message and advise location/cell, will text ..
i don't have the heavy winch just a harbor freight one on my jd440ic

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jason37756 » Sat May 11, 2019 7:19 pm

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1323&p=5436&hilit=3315+winch#p5436

Here is a post from another member here...B Town. My setup seems to match his.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat May 11, 2019 7:40 pm

Ok internal fed. B Town has one so I would go with his description. I didn't account for the internal feed.

jbloam
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by jbloam » Mon May 13, 2019 1:29 pm

I have a 1967 straight 350 with a 3315 winch with that same spool valve mounted under the seat. It is connected the way your picture shows. It works correctly although there is some hesitation to it, a time lag between operating the lever and the winch responding. I'm guessing low pressure or dirty intake screen. Just haven't looked into it yet.

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jason37756 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:34 pm

Thanks for the thumbs up! I went ahead and tried mine out this evening...worked great.

I too had a delay in the "winch in" as well as the "free spool"...I was at idle speed though. I had the winch on the ground turning it with my kubota's pto...kinda dangerous so I didn't want to push my luck any further.