Problems separating a track on a 450 ()

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Problems separating a track on a 450 ()

Post by Cle Elum John » Thu May 23, 2019 3:31 pm

Hi
I'm separating the tracks on a 450() to do a clutch and brake replacement. There was one welded pin on either side of the dozer and I assumed those were the master pins. Ground the welds off, burned the pin out with oxy acetylene and pounded the remainder of the pin out. I noticed one had a dimple on the end and the other didn't. The links on the side with the dimpled pin separated easily. The other side won't separate and looks it like it's being held on by an extension of the bushing. I suspect I took out a pin that was not a master pin. Going back and taking another look I noticed that there is a pin with a dimple on it on that one side of the dozer but it's not welded in. My plan going forward. Replace the pin that I took out in error. Split the track at the pin with dimple. Questions: Am I right about the master pin being marked with a dimple on the end? Am I going down the wrong track or is there an easier way to recover at this point. ?

Thank for any help or advice
John
Reporting from the Peoples Republic of Washington State.

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: Problems separating a track on a 450 ()

Post by Jason37756 » Thu May 23, 2019 7:28 pm

Anything is possible when it comes to dimples or not...my dozer has had both types and currently has two matching pins.

Going forward I would simply use another master pin to repair the error...wont hurt a thing and would give two options on the next removal.

Jason

Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Cle Elum John » Fri May 24, 2019 10:06 pm

Does anyone know what the difference is between a master track pin and the typical track pins? I have one of each and they look identical except for the dimple on the end. The center section of the pin may have a slightly larger diameter. This track has all headless pins with the counter bored links.

Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Cle Elum John » Fri May 24, 2019 10:06 pm

Does anyone know what the difference is between a master track pin and the typical track pins? I have one of each and they look identical except for the dimple on the end. The center section of the pin may have a slightly larger diameter. This track has all headless pins with the counter bored links.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat May 25, 2019 5:17 am

Because they are intended to be removed in the field if needed, the master pin diameter is usually a few thousandths of an inch (approximately .003" to .008" by the book on these) smaller in diameter than a track pin. The track pins are larger for a tighter fit in the links, as the intent is they are pressed in when the track chain is shop assembled and are not intended to be removed in the field. If you mic the pins you should see that difference. At that small a difference it would be hard to tell by eye, hence the drill point dimple in the end of the master pins. Pins should be the same diameter from end to end. My understanding of track pins.

Jim

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat May 25, 2019 1:04 pm

Drive master pins are relieved in the center so you only have to drive the "ends" in so to speak.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com