3325 winch

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
bulldozer
MC crawler
MC crawler

3325 winch

Post by bulldozer » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:38 pm

Hi, working on a 3325 winch and need some help....fluid was like milk , and had been run for who knows how long with the winch out of service. I have completely gone through the entire winch, new bearing seals etc, with high hopes that I may have fixed it. nothing working. took the spool valve apart checked things new o rings and fine ground the brass valve seats very slightly and hopefully re-assembled it correctly. still nothing. put a pressure gauge on it and got between 150 and 200 ish pounds , not good ….. thinking that things where pointing to the pump being weak I have installed and new pump , not a rebuilt one....still nothing. same pressure, maybe slightly more. I'm thinking I have to continue on do down the hydraulic line and address the valve ...I guess my question is , does this system self bleed itself ? and could that be the problem ? I have run the motor at different rpm's and no real difference on the gauge. wow these parts are so expensive and afraid that all along it was the valve.....Thank you in advance for any and all help with this …

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 3325 winch

Post by B Town » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:15 pm

Are you certain this is a spool valve? When I re-did my spool, I didn't remember any brass seats. Could you have a rotary valve?? How many hydraulic hoses are used to attach the valve to the winch?

I have recently rebuilt a 3325. Stripped to the bare bone. Right and left quills out, winch spool and main shaft out, etc.... How far did you tear your winch down?

Where are you measuring your pressure?

Best regards, Bruce

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:33 am

Welcome to the Forum.

To add to Bruce's post. Your description doesn't sound like a spool valve.

Item 14 is a rotary valve. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sid ... gId/184780

Item 17 is a spool valve. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sid ... gId/183955

Do you have a service/technical manual, you are using, with the winch in it?

What is the winch on? If it is a 350, 450 series or new you should post on the Late Model Board.

bulldozer
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by bulldozer » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:32 am

Ah shoot , you guys are right , its a rotary valve, my brain is in overload with frustration with this winch ,,,the winch is on a 550 . and has been taken completely disassembled both sides, drum, shaft bearings seals , etc. cleaned sandblasted, painted. And no, I have no technical manual for this unit. I pressure tested on the top left side of the winch housing. Thank you so much for the responses...being able to find others out there who can help and are supportive is a comfort with the huge frustration !!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:54 am

You should get a technical manual for the 550, the winch is in the manual. Be sure to check the serial number when you do as some models have changes based on S/N. Contact Lavoy at postmaster@jdcrawlers.com, he may be able to set you up with a manual. Another source is https://www.johndeeretechinfo.com/. That is the JD site for construction and forestry manuals. They have printed and electronic.

To help you in the meantime go to https://archive.org/details/John_Deere_Company and you will find a 450B manual. There is 3325 winch info in the miscellaneous section.

bulldozer
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by bulldozer » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:31 am

I have a technical manual, parts manual, owners manual, talks about disassemble and reassemble, not much about the valve [s] and not a whole lot about trouble shooting the system functions of the winch. I will go through it again though......

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:45 am

I believe the pressure test port is under the left side of the winch. There should be two 1/4 pipe plugs. The one to the left (outside) is a drain for the left case. The plug closer to the inside is the test port for the clutch.

I risk sounding remedial , but you have the right amount of oil? Pickup screen is clean, all connections are tight, all orings and seals in place, etc...

The rotary valves have a reputation of being difficult/problematic. J-kequipment.com has some parts/valves on their web site. Great people in the far NE to deal with.

I agree with Jim B's guidance.

Keep us posted, Bruce

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:47 am

What signs/symptoms does your winch have?

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:54 am

If you have a pressure gauge and fittings you may try isolating components to help life localize your problem. Best regards, Bruce

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:05 am

Compare winch testing and diagnosis in the 450B manual I posted the link to, and your manual. They don't always put the same info in them. It looks like my 450E manual has slightly different/more info on the winch than the 450B manual. I am thinking if you have scoring around the rotary valve you may need to replace the valve. You can check to see what parts JD has available for the rotary valve. Bruce mentioned J-kequipment in Maine. They work a lot with forestry equipment and are a good resource for winch parts. They have a tech support service you can talk with if you chose.

bulldozer
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by bulldozer » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:51 pm

Welp ,I had a long talk with a tech from j-k equipment in Maine and have ordered a new valve. lets hope this will do it. Chances are my pump may have been ok all along, just old, and perhaps original. I don't really feel to bad about knowing there is a brand new pump workin' away in there. just wow expppennnnsive to say the least,,, both parts really, but it is what it is. I will keep you all posted. This part should come by Monday... My best regards to all, and thank you so far !

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:49 am

Hi,

When it comes to Deere service manuals, keep in mind these were meant for service shop use. That means they tended to stick a lot of info in the first manual for a series they don't repeat in subsequent "letter update" manuals. As a service shop, you are expected to have all the manuals for all the series of machines. Makes it so we need to sometimes have multiple manuals for what we have.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:20 am

Yes, the winches are super $$$$. My spool valve was cheap, just orings. But my pump was shoot, run dry by the previous owner. Supposedly it was a Webster pump that was commonly used and inexpensive. None that I could find. My local Deere located one one the dealer web. Tore the he** out of a $1,000 bill, but it is all mine. Love the winch. Was lucky to find a fair leads through this site. Needed lots of work. It turned out nice.

bulldozer
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by bulldozer » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:34 pm

well I'm sure looking forward to getting this working and working well. now I guess the only thing I will be having to look hard for is the log arch . just gonna have to keep my eyes open I guess. have a good week all...