Increased lift with Drott bucket

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
valuator1956
MC crawler
MC crawler

Increased lift with Drott bucket

Post by valuator1956 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:11 am

Guys, just a question stemming from curiosity...

I have been on the forums reading all the posts in the late model forum as I am contemplating a purchase of a JD 350B. (Back to 2010 so far :D ) I noticed from a few posts that crawlers with the Drott bucket have a significantly larger lift capability. Can I assume, then, that the mechanics and hydraulics are different when that bucket is installed? (Complete newbie here so that may be an extremely stupid question!) Why a higher lift capacity?

"A 350B with a Drott bucket is rated with an 8,800 lb. breakout force and a 7,600 lb. max load at full height"

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Increased lift with Drott bucket

Post by Lavoy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:22 am

No, no difference in hyd, just which bucket is pinned on the front. There shouldn't be any difference in lift at least. I would think lower due to increased weight of the bucket.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

valuator1956
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by valuator1956 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:23 pm

That was my thought as well...but I noticed in an earlier post (by you, I think) that JD gives the maximum lift weight of the 350b with standard bucket at 4000 lbs and with the Drott at 7600 lbs. Didn't make sense to me, hence my post. I will try to find the earlier post for reference...

Thanks for your reply

valuator1956
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by valuator1956 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:35 pm

Here is the original post from 2009...( misattributed by me to Lavoy) ;-)

Re: Lift capacity of a 350 crawler loader ?
Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:04 am
by jdemaris
Deere350 wrote:
What's the max weight lifting capacity of a 350 crawler loader? I have the standard bucket on the machine.
Deere specs state:
3/4 yard heavy digging bucket or 1 1/4 yard light duty bucket
Breakout force 12,100 lbs.
SAE loader max tipping load - 7,150 lbs.

That's for a 350C loader.

The first 350 loader is a bit less and states a 9000 lb. breakout force
and a 4000 lb. capacity when loader is at full height.

A 350B with a Drott bucket is rated with an 8,800 lb. breakout force and a 7,600 lb. max load at full height.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:27 pm

I think there is more info needed. I would want the original JD spec sheets to compare. I know when comparing machines between manufacturers you need to watch the wording closely as there are ways each can shed the best light on their unit using the same verbiage in a slightly different manner.

Geometry of the bucket and linkage as well as hydraulic pressure, will change the breakout force. I have to wonder if some of the weights posted for tipping/capacity/max load, include the bucket as well as the load in it and the 4000 lbs. for the 350B doesn't include the bucket weight. My thought is basically a machine is going to tip at a given weight, the name of the bucket won't change that. Heavier the bucket the less capacity for weight of material in it. Shape of a bucket will affect tipping if it is shaped such that it moves the load center further forward.

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:19 pm

I think as others have said, more information is needed.
Max lifting capacity is different then lifting capacity through the full range of lift. Most of the spec sheets I've come across list tipping load, which is a completely different test then lift capacity.
The 350B and later have a completely different bucket linkage then the straight machines, although this only affects breakout force.
A 4 in 1 bucket will definitely lower lift capacity, just look at the extra counterweights that get bolted on the back to compensate for the extra bucket weight.
One other tidbit, unless you have a backhoe attachment, every 350 I've been near will loose stability (rear end raises up) well before the lift cylinders give up.

valuator1956
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by valuator1956 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:35 am

Thanks, all. Your replies make sense.