450(), Replacing the seals on the differential

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

450(), Replacing the seals on the differential

Post by Cle Elum John » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:23 pm

I have the steering case opened up to replace the brake and clutch on a 450 straight. I was going to replace the final drive pinion seal (easy and needed). I am also thinking of replacing the seal on the transmission behind tube/quill/bearing support. I think it is ok, but since it is all opened... It looks like it should be straight forward if I use the same shims. When I unbolt the bearing support do I need to support the ring gear and hub assembly or will the bearing on the other side provide enough support? If I have to support it, that would probably mean taking the top cover off. Also does the transmission fluid need to be drained? Are there any tricks or warnings on the job?

Any advice would be appreciated.

John
Reporting from the Peoples Republic of Washington State.

Rayman1975
40C crawler
40C crawler

Re: 450(), Replacing the seals on the differential

Post by Rayman1975 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:35 pm

I just got done with a total rebuild of my 450 loader. Take the top cover off above ring gear and reach in and place shims under ring gear to hold it up while you pull off one quill. The quills come off by screwing in two 3/8 or 5/16 bolts into quills in the corresponding holes..... of course after you removered the bolts around the outside of quill. Put new seal and oring on quill then put it back in. Have helper hold ring gear steady while you put quill back in. If ring gear falls off of shims while the quill is only halfway installed it will tear the new seal you just installed and your tranny will leak into stearing clutch housing. Dont forget to remove shims after you are done. Any other questions let me know, been through it all. Rob

Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Cle Elum John » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:40 pm

Great answer. It was afraid it would be a little more involved than just pulling the quill off and replacing the seal and o ring. I am glad you pointed out the quill removal helper holes to me. I probably would have missed that. I am gonna take another look at it to see if there is ANY evidence of leakage. I understand that the seal failure is not common. Even so, I will probably do it anyway, I have the parts on order. It will give me a chance to look at the bearings too. I would hate to go through the whole steering rebuild and miss something easily fixable at this point.

Thanks for the information.
John

Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Cle Elum John » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:48 pm

One other question: Do you have to drain the case? I hope that the seal and bearing are not submerged. It sounds like you may have had the case empty already.

John

Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Cle Elum John » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:49 pm

Thanks again, especially Rob, for the previous help. I have another question. When replacing the seals in the differential I found the the bearings were slightly pitted and the ring/pinion lash was incorrectly set. About .028" instead of .012" (max). I decided to remove the ring gear and replace the bearing. When removing the ring gear, the oil sprayer tube that comes through the bulkhead from the from case seems kind of loose and would actually pull away from the bulkhead about an inch or so. Can you remember what the heck is going on here? The manual is not clear. Can I just push it back in or do I need to get into the HLR portion of the case and secure something?

Waiting for the bearings. I hope I have enough shim to reset the preload and backlash. Cutting new ones will take some time. If anyone can remember how that sprayer tube is installed that would help a lot, the manual is not a lot of help. I am not anxious to take the top off the HLR.

Thanks again for your prior help
John