Motor wont turn off

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Motor wont turn off

Post by Jason37756 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:55 pm

My 350 is setup with the throttle shut off not the selonoid. I don't even use a key, just a push button to start it.

With that said today I had to sink the blade and bog the motor down to kill the motor. I don't think it's a "run away" situation because the motor idles way down with the throttle, but not enough to kill the engine.

I recently replaced the fuel filters and installed a new mechanical fuel pump. I assume the injection pump is getting a bigger supply of fuel and thus needs a bit of adjustment to throttle low enough to kill the engine.

I removed the linkage and pressed the throttle forward but it would not idle down anymore...just lugged. I read that there might be a small shaft in the injection pump that controls the governor and this could be broken. Beyond that I am at a loss.

Can I somehow adjust the injection pump?

Thoughts

Jason

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Motor wont turn off

Post by Jim B » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:42 am

I doubt new filters and a new transfer pump caused your injection pump issue. It sounds like the shutdown linkage in the pump has failed in some way. If you want to try to fix it yourself you can find a Roosamaster/Stanadyne manual on line by searching the pump using the number string that starts with DB. Cleanliness is important if you decide to open it up. Some people here do their own pumps and you can find posts if you search. I have had some training in injection systems and have worked on pumps and injectors, but I lean to take them to a pump shop with the right tools, equipment, and ability to calibrate as well as repair.

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jason37756 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:04 am

Thanks,

During the process of replacing the filters and pump I had several instances where the IP was without fuel (during priming) would this cause my current issue? I couldn't prime the fuel all the way over to the IP because the transfer pump was junk, so the IP sucked air until the fuel came along...nothing major, but it did occur.

Jason

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:10 am

I don't see that it would. They run out of fuel at times and there is usually some air in the system every filter change. At times require they require cracking the injection line nuts at the injectors to fully clear the pump and start the engine. Then they run with no issues after.

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jason37756 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:15 am

The motor sounded so strong and smooth after the new filters and pump. I ran it for about an hour with no issues....parked it and throttled down to kill it. I was surprised when it wouldn't shut off.

Jason

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jason37756 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:20 pm

I ran the little crawler today and it turned off as usual. I had to turn it off a few times today and it worked perfectly each time.

Jason