Finger height adjustment on steering clutch for JD450 plain

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Finger height adjustment on steering clutch for JD450 plain

Post by Cle Elum John » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:51 pm

I am setting the fingers on JD450 (no suffix) steering clutches. Bought an after market tool, but it does not look much like the tool in the JD shop manual. It is not marked "STR" like the JD264 in the shop manual. There are three possible surfaces to use on this particular tool. I suspect it is the long flat side (2.016") but I would like to know for absolute sure before setting them and reassemble. I have seen the number 2.062" quoted in a another thread and it referenced the JD manual but I was unable to verify. I attached an image, don't know if it will go through or not.

This is a very simple and essential detail that JD should have included in the manual. I suspect JD just wanted to sell an overpriced tool to the customer.

Sorry for that final rant:
John

Reporting from the Peoples Republic of Washington State.

Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: Finger height adjustment on steering clutch for JD450 plain

Post by Cle Elum John » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:55 pm

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:22 pm

My 450 service manual was borrowed and not returned by someone, so can't look it up, but from what I remember, it explained the process for engine and steering, which I though showed which side of the gauge was used for which.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:42 pm

From what I can remember, and from going through past posts on this board, the 2" side is what it used for steering. There are pics of older gauges out there that have a narrow center tab, but I believe they are for constant mesh transmission. The pic you post is of the later gauge for use with HLR which is what I sent you. It can be modified to work with the standard transmission, and some manuals will show the necessary modifications, some won't in my experience.
The difference between the heights you list is 46 thousandths of an inch, the pressure is not going to know the difference one way or the other.
Back in the day, the only people that would normally have had the gauge is the dealer service dept, so doubt Deere was just trying to sell gauges, and one would have been included in the special tools set that every dealer buys when a new model comes out.
Lavoy

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:54 pm

I can't say on your 450, I don't have a manual. The 450B uses the JD264 gauge and the manual specs say 2.062" +/- .031" for lever height, not to vary more than .010" finger to finger.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:52 pm

I seem to remember Lavoy saying something about his was two gauges in one. I just checked the gauge I got from Lavoy, a while back, and on mine the side you have marked as 2.016 is 2.061 (+/- .001"), from the tab to the end of the legs. That would be the JD264 side I believe. The tab is wider (mine is 3-1/8" wide) than some in the books appear but I don't see why you can't narrow it, if needed. The other side measures up to the JD227 gauge I believe. It is relieved differently than the drawings I have seen in other service manuals but the gauge areas, for checking fingers, seem correct. HTH
Jim

Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Cle Elum John » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:16 pm

I went back and took the measurements off the tool again. The 2.016" really is 2.016", I did not transpose digits.

The 450() manual (last revised in 1974) says to use the JD 264 gauge. I have been through the manual from front to back and sideways. I could not find 2.062" number. I could not find it in the pressure plate section. Was it somewhere else, maybe?

Jim B, do remember where in the 450b manual it says 2.062"? If they say +/- .01" probably should get it straighten out. All set .05" too shallow could be an issue. I only want to do this job once in this lifetime.

I retired from the aircraft industry where it pays to be obsessive. I will be that way for the rest of my life.

Thanks for all the help
John

Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Cle Elum John » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:46 pm

I went into text only 450b manual on this website. It says "Place "STR" side of JD264 gauge over pressure plate with legs of gauge resting on brake drum (Fig. 7). The three clutch release levers should be adjusted to just touch the center of the gauge. Released lever height is 2.062 ± 0.031 in." Exact same paragraph as the 450() except for the last sentence that referenced the lever height is missing. It says use the JD264 gauge, same as the 450(), so I will set to 2.062". I suspect it does not make a heck of a lot of difference. Gotta go move things along. I have some clutches that won't assemble themselves.

Thanks for the tolerance and the help.
John

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:59 pm

Tolerance allowance is from finger to finger. You could have the fingers .250 high and it would function perfectly as long as they are uniform. Only issue would be loss of useable life.
It's a crawler, not a plane, it wasn't that precise the day it was born.
Lavoy

Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Cle Elum John » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:57 pm

I hear you about the precision. I just have an aircraft mindset. Its a little frustrating. Aircraft rework/repair manuals are very precise, very clear, and very complete. Absolutely nothing left to interpretation.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:53 am

John,

I agree with Lavoy if you are within .050" of the spec you should be fine. The .010" between fingers is for even movement of the pressure plate and throwout bearing loading and likely more important than the difference between 2.016 and 2.062. At 2.016 you are only .015" from the low side of the book spec when you figure in the .031" as the minus allowance from the 2.062.

I understand your mindset, having worked on production machinery where being off a few thousands of an inch wouldn't pass inspection. Not that I think these crawlers are that finicky in this are of the machines. For your reference this link should take you to the site where I found the 450B TM1033 manual, which I found that info in. The steering clutch pressure plate adjustment is in section 60-25-6. You should see the manual in the top row, third from the left.

https://archive.org/details/John_Deere_Company

Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Cle Elum John » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:15 pm

Thanks for the help everyone. The clutches are together and the job is progressing.

John