Oil Level Help

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Homebuilt
MC crawler
MC crawler

Oil Level Help

Post by Homebuilt » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:55 am

Just bought a 350 crawler and wanting to service. Noticed the reverser dipstick has been replaced with one that has threads too small,just slips in.
Don't know if oil level marks are correct. Wondering if someone would be kind enough to measure theirs and provide the dimensions from bottom of threads to the full marks so I can adapt this stick to my machine. I have the capabilities to make a threaded sleeve to make this work just need to put the marks at the right place. SN T4F3D014412T

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Oil Level Help

Post by dtoots1 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:59 am

If i was in that position ..and even think it needs oil change. I would get book out and see what amount shows for capacity change it and measure where yur full mark is and go from there

Homebuilt
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Homebuilt » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:18 am

Guess I could do that. Took it out for to measure threads and looks like the threads are just rolled over. Maybe someone didn't screw it back in and it just rattled itself in. The trans dipstick screws right in so the internal threads are fine. The oil is really clean and PO said only about 150 hours on last service but its been setting for several years so I changed engine oil and just checking other levels. The machine has almost no drips that I can find.
Thanks for getting right back

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jason37756 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:31 am

Unless your dip stick is longer that usual you should be ok to move it if the dip stick is showing oil. I would not hesitate to move the machine around with a minimal amount of oil, but I would definitely check the capacities and figure out if I had enough oil in there.

It's tough because you really don't know how much is in it to determine if you have the correct amount. You could check the needed dip stick part number against the transmission dip stick part number. If they're the same you could simply use it to check the levels for both areas. They are both threaded caps so the may in fact be the same dip stick.

I have the manuals if you need someone to look for part numbers, also the part numbers are available online.

Jason

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:35 am

not a problem...Welcome aboard you will find that there is a lot of knowledge and experience from these guys and many willing to help.
i have a jd440ic so haven't worked on bigger stuff just know tis bigger and heavier and more cost.. enjoy yours!!!

edit.
by the way in login drop down box is 'profile' click on that and enter your location, someone may be nearby and can help when needed..

Homebuilt
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Homebuilt » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:01 am

The parts book list dif numbers and I can't find a number on either one. The trans stick is half round solid bar and the reverser is a tube dipstick witch kind of made me think it was replaced.The parts book shows a washer and cotter pin on the stick witch this one has.So maybe it is the right part with the threads worn off.So either a measurement or an oil change would confirm proper level. We loaded and unloaded and didn't notice any obvious problems so it can't be too far off.

jbloam
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by jbloam » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:11 am

I have a 1967 straight 350. The distance from the bottom of the threads to the full line is 9-1/8". To the low level line is 9-7/8 ". No part number stamped on it.

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:53 am

i also have a 350 sounds like the dip stick is the right one if it s a round tube

JIM

Homebuilt
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Homebuilt » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:49 pm

Those measurements match what I have. I will re-new the threads and be on my way. Thanks