Oiler tube for the ring gear on a 450()

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Oiler tube for the ring gear on a 450()

Post by Cle Elum John » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:12 pm

Thanks again, especially Rob, for the previous help. I have another question. When replacing the seals in the differential I found the the bearings were slightly pitted and the ring/pinion lash was incorrectly set. About .028" instead of .012" (max). I decided to remove the ring gear and replace the bearings. When removing the ring gear, the oil sprayer tube that comes through the bulkhead from the from the forward HLR case seems kind of loose and would actually pull away from the bulkhead about an inch or so. Can you remember what the heck is going on here? The manual and the parts listing is not clear. Can I just push it back in or do I need to get into the HLR portion of the case and secure something?

Just installed the bearings. I hope I have enough shim to reset the preload and backlash. Cutting new ones will take some time. If anyone can remember how that sprayer tube is installed that would help a lot, the manual is not a lot of help. I am not anxious to take the top off the HLR.

Thanks again for your prior help
John
Reporting from the Peoples Republic of Washington State.

Rayman1975
40C crawler
40C crawler

Re: Oiler tube for the ring gear on a 450()

Post by Rayman1975 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:25 pm

That tube is held at the top by a rubber gromet and by sliding over lube oil line and at the bottom by the little tab attached to the stb side quill. Its a loose fit and it will rattle around some. If it was a tight fit on the pinion gear it would wear it away. You can order a new rubber for the top as they get hard and shrink over time allowing some slop. But it will be hard to replace as the lube oil feed line is on the other side of the bulkhead and protrudes into the grommet also. One other thing, there are no seals between that tube and the lube oil feed line on the other side. It just slides on, so as long as the tab is on the bottom the top can move around with out any problems. One more thing, lol. If you do remove tab and take oil tube off ( you have to to remove quill) look at the end of the lube oil line inside the bulkhead hole. It necks down to about a 1/8 to reduce oil flow and keep pressure up in system. Mine had a little metal flake blocking most of that hole meaning those gears were being starved of oil. If you feel that that slope ( pulling away from bulkhead) is to much carefully bend tube so when tab bolted on, the top will be closer to bulkhead. Hope this helps, Rob Deer

Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: Oiler tube for the ring gear on a 450()

Post by Cle Elum John » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:19 pm

Thanks, the comment did help. I have been off the board for a while. I had to remove the quills to replace the oil seals. The gear lash was way out of wack. It all went together. What you said about the oil tube makes sense. I am pretty sure I did every thing right. Just being loose the way it was seemed odd.

John
Reporting from the Peoples Republic of Washington State.