John Deere 350b reverse problems

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Fimmyles
40C crawler
40C crawler

John Deere 350b reverse problems

Post by Fimmyles » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:31 pm

Hello and thank you for this magnificent website! I have a 350b that has been working flawlessly. I recently rebuilt both final drives and have avout 10-15 hours on the machine. I was pushing some dirt and while backing up the machine was started making excessive noise beyond the normal whining. I thought maybe a rock was caught in the tracks, but nothing. I tried to move the machine forward and it would not go. It has a reverser but no reverse in gear shift. I tried to put gear shift in neutral and it would not budge. Let ut sit for a day and it would go forward perfectly, but reverse made horrible noise and the gear shift got stuck again. Any clues or insight would be great. Love the machine and i use it alot around the farm. Looking for a little help before i dig too far into things.

-Myles

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: John Deere 350b reverse problems

Post by Jason37756 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:51 am

You need to isolate the problem. I see 4 possibilities.

Transmission
Reverser
Linkage
Brakes bands / clutches

I am not familiar with a transmission without a reverse, but understand that the reverse gear also worked /engaged various attachments associated with the pto and may not have been needed with the reverser...either way you may have a gear or bearing issues within the transmission. If you have not tried yet I would recommend trying all gears in reverse, neutral, and forward. This may give more insight. If the problem disappeard then I would lean toward an issue within the problem gear. If the problem persist it could still be a bearing.

The reverser has hydraulic pressure plates that release and pressurize as directed. I have never had to repair one and can't give much insight, someone will be able to jump in on this potential issue. The whining noise you mention would indicate to me the reverser is going into bypass.

The linkage that engages the reverser may be broken or out of adjustment not allowing the pressure plate to work. This would be a simple inspection and repair.

As odd as it may sound the issue may rest inside your freshly rebuilt final drives. The brake bands or even the clutch disks may be broken or damaged in a way that binds when in reverse and thus creating an issue with the reverser or transmission. I recently had to replace bearings in a 350 B transmission because they had came apart binding the input shaft to a point that the reverser could not turn the shaft.

I would be very very careful in trying to move the machine. If a shaft is seized or binding it could break a gear or even the housing if forced...something has to give.

You could also place everything in neutral and turn the engine off, then try to pull the dozer and see what it does/ sounds like. With the engine off the reverser is free and should allow the transmission to turn freely. While your being pulled you could place the transmission in gear... The tracks should still turn.

Jason

Fimmyles
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Fimmyles » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:30 am

Thank you jason. I will try all gears today. The dozer steers fine and drives fine in forward. The reverser also engages properly. This happened quickly, not over time.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:48 pm

Hi,

A 350 gets a reverse gear in the trans when (a) the machine is not equipped with a reverser, (b) when equipped with a PTO, (c) when equipped with a winch drive. When equipped with a reverser, and nothing sticking out the back, no reverse gear is in the transmission. Unless someone paid extra for one back in The Day.

The 350 reverser has an independent hydraulic pump within, and it makes up either the forward or reverse clutch pack. There is no master engine clutch attached to the pedal. It is a hydraulic dump valve to allow inching as if there were a master engine clutch.

If a 350 is sans a reverser, then there is a master engine clutch attached to the pedal. This, then, leads to confusion sometimes.

With a reverser, the machine will roll with the trans in gear and the engine off. No hydraulic pressure to make up the clutch pack.

The reverser has two power paths within. Forward is thru the center shaft. Reverse is thru a side shaft. Both spin all the time. The clutches are both unloaded when the reverser lever is in neutral. The forward one makes up in forward, the reverse one in reverse.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jason37756 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:31 pm

When placed in reverse you get a whining noise and the forward seems to "mess up" until you let it set for a period of time? Correct?

If this is the case then It seems that the reverser gets some type of pressure lock and needs to depressurize before forward will work. Could be something simple within the reverser like a o ring or seal causing the issue. No way to be sure until you're in there looking at it.

There are several pressure checks you can do to test the reverser. The message board has several posts about the test ports and their pressures...makes you want to just drive forward and live with it.

If I were to pull the reverser I would pull the engine and then the reverser. 4 bolts attach the engine to the reverser and four bolts attach the reverse to the transmission.

Jason

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:07 pm

If you have the Technical (aka service)Manual there are sections on adjustments and diagnostics you should follow. The posts others have made here will add insight to things in the manual. The right John Deere manual for a 350 B is TM1032. If you don't have a copy, Lavoy sells manuals, drop him a note.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:09 pm

If you have the Technical (aka service)Manual there are sections on adjustments and diagnostics you should follow. They also tell you many of the tools and gauges you will need to make the diagnostic tests. The posts others have made here will add insight to things in the manual. The right John Deere manual for a 350 B is TM1032. If you don't have a copy, Lavoy sells manuals, drop him a note.

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:05 am

I would say the problem is with the reverser flow accumulator. If I remember correctly,this is mounted on the left side of the reverser housing and I don't think it can be removed without removing the reverser housing.I don't remember for sure but, I don't think there is room enough to remove the mounting bolts. The machine's frame is too close. Maybe the frame could be cut open to extract the accumulator and then weld a patch over the hole after repairs are done. This accumulator is what controls the flow of hydraulic fluid to the reverser forward, neutral, and reverse. I think you can't get the trans. to shift because the reverser is holding too much pressure on the gears until the pressure seeps down when the machine isn't running. There are a couple flow control valves in the accumulator that direct the fluid to the clutches. Perhaps they are where your problem lies.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:42 am

DO NOT MOVE the dozer under power, and tow it judiciously. Sounds like a bearing spun out in tranny. The fact that the gear shift locks up tells you it is not the reverser. Using it may shell out many gears, including ring gear and pinion.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

Fimmyles
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Fimmyles » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:31 pm

Thank you all for the insight. I drove the dozer up to my shop in Forward only from the woods. I checked all fluids even changed reverser fluid and filter looming for shavings. Nothing was found. I cleaned the machine up replaced fluids and tried to movie it in forward and reverse in all gears. It made the Normal howl in first gear when in reverse and no noise in forward. Tried third gear and it made absolutely no noise in reverse or forward. I tried second gear and it made a horrendous sound while in reverse. Howling and growling. Steered fine in all gears forward and reverse. Did not try 4th gear as it seems un realistic for any use. At this point i thought i narrowed the problem down to the transmission in second gear. I tried all gears once again an hour later and it made horrible.noises in reverse when in 1sr and 2nd. Actually even seemed to struggle a bit in reverse. Tried to go forward and it would go into gear but not move. If i went from reversr to forward it would eventually move. Did this in 1,&2 not 3. Almost sounds like possibly a bearing spinning on a shaft only in reverse?? Not sure. Thats why im asking for insight. What does it cost to rebuild reverser and rear diff? What is an approximate timeline to tear this thing appart? Is it worth it?

Thanks everyone

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:35 pm

sounds as if all your trouble is in your transmission I think i would take trans cover off and take look see inside , if your reverses was clean you should do a pressure test on your reverser it will give some insite as wether that is functioning properly

Good Luck

JIM 350 & 450C owner

Fimmyles
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Fimmyles » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:02 pm

Do the pressure gauges need to be hydraulic gauges when checking pressure in the reverser? I will check pressures and pull inspection plate off in rear of dozer and let you know what i find. Thanks again.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:31 pm

Others may have different thoughts but gauges should be compatible with oil, not necessarily hydraulic specific. Liquid filled are good as the liquid stabilizes the needle for reading. A main concern is that you do not use a gauge on an oil system then use it on a gas system, especially oxygen. Oil and oxygen can equal a fire and explosion.

I have to agree with jsal after reading your post about the results you had as you tried different gears in forward and reverse.

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jason37756 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:26 pm

If memory serves ...To pull the transmission cover you will need to remove the canopy, fuel tank, disconnect the hydraulics, remove the seat/battery/hydraulic tank assemblys and finally 12-15 bolts hold the cover on. From here you can easily see the gears, bearings, and see their function. There's a few other items such as linkage, power assist hoses, etc that you'll need to remove too, but it's self explanatory once you get in there. I think it took me about 3-5 hours to see the tranny gears. Having a tractor with a bucket or other lift helps. If you have an issue in the transmission you will need to separate the reverser from the transmission I order to pull the shaft for bearing replacement etc.

When my bearing piled up on itself the reverser could not overcome the bearing, so it squealed when placed in forward or reverse. One direction was worse than the other but I can't remember which. The dozer would not move at all...be very cautious about moving the dozer under its own power! If it a bearing it could seize up and the force may crack your transmission housing or your shaft. Big $$$ it you can actually find the housing.

I do not now the cost to replace the rear diff, but the two bearings and oil seal for the input shaft were less than $50. I have the bearing numbers if needed.

You can inspect the rear bearing for the shaft by removing the rear diff cover and looking in the upper left hand corner...you can see the bearing cup (race). This may tell you something or not, but you can see it. Another thing you could do is use a inspection camera and slip it into the transmission fluid fill whole...it's only dumb if it don't work -right. Amazon has pencil size USB cameras for $25.

There is an upper and lower shaft in the transmission the lower shaft (acts as the pinion gear) goes out to the rear diff, so you could remove the rear plate and see kinda what that looks and feels like.

I've got quite a few pictures of the inside of the transmission if needed.

Jason

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:03 am

I'm hoping that the problem results are shared.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford