Results for HLR Pressure on JD 450

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jgbanshee
420 crawler
420 crawler

Results for HLR Pressure on JD 450

Post by jgbanshee » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:47 pm

I checked the HLR pressure on my JD 450 today and found L=150psi, H=150psi, and R=150psi. According to the manual, these are good pressures. So what could be keeping this dozer from moving in Reverse? Is there suppossed to be trans fluid on parts right inside that Bung Hole where I checked the HLR pressure? Everything was wet when I removed the plug.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:40 pm

On a 450 or 450B you should have no oil or water in the steering clutch area verry few of the last of the 450Bs had wet clutch steer and most of these were northern units .Your power shift is right on the money .So check this steering area if you have a dry clutch unit they must be dry [no oil or water ]These housings have open holes on the bottom of both sides or if pluged can retain water and oil when this tuches the clutch it is usualy clutch problems and even bigger bucks if this water freezes and breaks a housing casting .the plugs are there so you can work in water and the clutches stay dry.When back on dry land pull the plugs and keep those clutches dry.But when the plugs get left in water gets in the top of the houseing and messes things up .If oil tuches them you will be replaceing the clutch packs unless some one like Lavoy knows a way around it .I have never found one nore been in this position .Good luck.Digitup.

jgbanshee
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by jgbanshee » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:59 pm

Thanks for the reply but I must have led you in the wrong direction. There is no oil in the steering clutches (but the clutches still have problems). The oil I was talking about was in the range change area behind the bung hole under the range change lever between legs. When I removed the plug to check the pressure, I noticed oil getting slung around when the machine was running. I am now told that that is normal and is oil from the clutch packs rotating and throwing oil around. I was also told that since the pressure is OK, the problem could be the large snap ring holding the clutch packs could have blown.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:20 pm

Been there done that if you are lucky it is a quick fix .Digitup.