450E transmission problem not shifting

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
matwyukm
MC crawler
MC crawler

450E transmission problem not shifting

Post by matwyukm » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:17 am

I have a JD 450E crawler. Runs fine for about 30 minutes, then does not want to shift from forward or reverse (HLR none functioning). I shut the machine down and note, the trans fluid is not showing on the dipstick (apparently the trans fluid is not returning to sump). I note that if I hold the clutch all the way down (disengage the trans) for a minute or two, and release it will then move.

I'm thinking there is a valve or seal in there somewhere that is not returning the trans oil to sump. Was told it may be the steering clutch seals. Any help would be appreciated.

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Re: 450E transmission problem not shifting

Post by JWB Contracting » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:42 pm

Do you have an external leak anywhere?

You can pull the 4 bolt covers on top of the steering clutches or brake band plugs on the side to see if they are filled with fluid. If so you may have a significant leak in the clutch system. Next one we work on we are going to remove the clutch housing cover and use an electric pump to verify where the leak is coming from.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

matwyukm
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: 450E transmission problem not shifting

Post by matwyukm » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:04 am

Not seeing any external leaks. Once it sits, oil returns to sump. I plan on pulling the steering lever spools and probably replace the seals and springs. Will check the steering clutch housings as mentioned. But aren't they suppost to have oil in them?