JD450C want to rebuild the T handle linkages

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
bolt37
40C crawler
40C crawler

JD450C want to rebuild the T handle linkages

Post by bolt37 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:09 pm

My T handle.works, but is very sloppy with all the linkage brackets having worn out holes where all the roll spring pins are seated. Other forums have indicated can't get JD replacement parts, but can drill holes oversized and put bigger pins in. Any thoughts, pictures, procedures, warnings or suggestions would be appreciated! I love my new (old) dozer, and just want it to work as intended.
Thanks!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD450C want to rebuild the T handle linkages

Post by Jim B » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:47 am

First send Lavoy an email (postmaster@jdcrawlers.com) to see what he might have available for the parts you need or ideas he might have. His business provides this site for us to use.

I would recommend getting the sending unit that matches any new electric gauge you get and changing it with the gauge. I've had too many the senders didn't match, so the readings are off, if they even work at all.

If you don't know about the John Deere on line parts books here is a link that should take you to the control valve handle for your 450C. If you scroll to the next page there, you will see the rest of the linkage. I looked on line through the dealer I use, and the linkage kit # AT64924 shows as available to order -- for about $1400.00. I didn't check with them to confirm, or check individual parts. Click on "450C Crawler Bulldozer - PC1420" at the top of the parts list and it will take you to the index of the parts catalog, if you want to look at other things.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sid ... gId/259996

350B$Pit
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by 350B$Pit » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:33 am

I've got the same situation with my 350B. Sloppy T Handle making it difficult to have a fine control of the blade.

I'm going to try the roll pin fix. My valve linkage parts are solid and if necessary could be modified (filled in and drilled) to work with new roll pins.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:01 pm

Some of the pieces are not thick enough to handle the next size bigger roll pin. I weld them shut and redrill them to the original size. Either way, you have to be careful to get the holes back in the right spot, or you will create binding in the linkage pieces and then you have a real problem.
Rebuilt kit may still be available, and I don't doubt the $1400 price tag, they used to be $1000.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

bolt37
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by bolt37 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:12 pm

Thanks for the replies and good advice!

My temptation is to buy the new assembly and make it right again.

But I love tinkering to fix stuff.

What if I packed JB Weld around the loose roll spring pins to eliminate the wobble/loose condition? As long as I don't get it in the hole, it should hurt anything should it? Might not last a long time but maybe a year or two? JB weld is pretty amazing stuff...

How hard is that whole T handle assembly to take off, anyway?