450B need complete engine

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
cordlesscarpenter
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

450B need complete engine

Post by cordlesscarpenter » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:06 am

I had another thread on here regarding a 450B I'm looking to purchase but it didn't get many hits so I'm putting this question into this separate thread topic hoping to get a better response and maybe help others down the road.

The machine is a 1973 450B crawler loader with backhoe. Supposedly "everything works perfectly" or did before the fire. The engine caught fire somehow (while the owner was away, lightning strike perhaps? Nobody knows what started it) but everything else was reported in fine shape. First, I'll say I'm not a sucker, I don't trust anyone's word when it comes to buying equipment like this. I was looking for a machine just like this and have the knowledge base to replace the engine and wiring. The price was right so I went and looked at it... comparing it to my current 450 straight crawler loader, it is in much better condition. Not aesthetically but it has much better bones plus it has the backhoe (with 4 buckets I might add) AND an original Drott 4-in-1. Heck the hydraulics are so strong on it that when the guy left for the quick break where the engine caught fire, he left the bucket in the air and when I got there, it was still in the air (it has been 11 months since the fire)!

Anyhow, the machine appears to be solid other than the engine and wiring needing replaced. Before I pull the trigger on this, I need to know what it will cost me. If the engine is not re-buildable, I will need to purchase a complete engine. Doing a quick online search, I'm looking at $6-8k for a complete engine with a $1k core. I'm hoping someone on here can direct me to a reputable dealer that would be able to sell me a complete engine at a good price. Also, when they speak of "complete" engine, does that come with an injection pump (I'm thinking not, which would cost me another arm and leg).

Lavoy, do YOU sell complete engines??? If so, please PM me with details.

It would only make sense that if I'm putting a new motor in it that I go with a turbo, any thoughts or comments as to fitment/adaptors/mods that need to be made and what the gains in HP and torque over the naturally aspirated diesel are?

JWB, I'm sure you'll hit this thread, I read a thread where you were talking about IR compressor with JD engines, is there a dealer for those or are you only picking them up at auction? Can you possibly PM me with details? What modifications do you guys usually make to fit them into a 450B?

Just trying to see if the numbers make sense when everything is added up before I pull the trigger.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

papyrus
420 crawler
420 crawler

Re: 450B need complete engine

Post by papyrus » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:40 am

hi
i have a 450b and JD 2030 farm tractor and they have bothe the same engine. its maybe easier to finde a engine on the ag market.
good luck
hansruedi

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:50 pm

Just out of curiosity - why do you need to replace the whole engine?
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

cordlesscarpenter
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by cordlesscarpenter » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:12 pm

The engine caught fire and melted all the accessories. Once I've pulled the engine and examine everything, I'll know whether or not the head and block are salvageable, until then, it's all unknown.