Tach drive cable

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
bolt37
40C crawler
40C crawler

Tach drive cable

Post by bolt37 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:58 pm

Guys, i bought a new tach for my jd450c because it didnt work. Stupid me didn't even pull old one out before hand. So I did, and it has no drive cable. Manual says it connects to flywheel area, no pics or drawings. Can i get to the area if I remove the two floor pans? Got any pics of what I should see in there? I might need the pinion and adapter also if they are missing. But they might still be there...

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Tach drive cable

Post by Jim B » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:38 am

Good morning,

I think the parts catalog has your answers. The tach drives off the back end of the cam. Look at the housing (back plate of the engine) on the surface above the starter, behind the block. Here is a link to the page in the catalog showing it. Use the scroll arrow to advance to next page and you will see the cam and tach drive gears used. You can click on PC1420 at the top of the parts list and it will take you to the index for the complete catalog.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sid ... pgId/20385

450FiveString
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by 450FiveString » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:41 am

I just had the engine out of my straght 450 and it had a tachometer cable but I don't have a tach and don't plan to get one. I don't know if it's the same p/n but if it is you're welcome to it. I didn't check it close but I think it's ok.

bolt37
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by bolt37 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:52 am

Wow! That would be awesome! I am in Nevada on a weeks business trip but will be home at 2am Saturday....ugh. I think that would be great and would gladly give you shipping money and more if you wanted. I need to get my eyes on the connection to the engine and see if the adater and little pinion are remaining. I found those on ebay if it turns out I need them.
So i am really beginning to enjoy this, my first ever, dozer. Once i get full fluid and filter changes done and a bit of instrumentation back in operation i will feel better about using it . Its going to do the job I bought it for I am sure.

450FiveString
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by 450FiveString » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:59 am

My first dozer too. I'll look at it and make sure it's in usable condition. However I just checked the p/n for the 450 and the 450c and they are different. Maybe someone on here knows if they will work.

bolt37
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by bolt37 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:16 pm

Hey 450FiveString,

I got home this morning and went right to the dozer to find the tach cable drive connection. It is pretty easy to get to but was covered in grease and goop and I missed it before.

The threaded adapter is there, and so it looks like all I need is the cable. Let me know if you think your cable might work and I'll send you some money for shipping. I'll PM you my email address.

When I look at the place where the tip goes down in, looks like it is correct with a slot on one side for the stamped flange on the side of the drive cable shaft tip.

I don't know how to put a picture in here, but I have some.