How to remove the hydraulic hose on the boom cylinder on a 450c loader?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Debes450c
MC crawler
MC crawler

How to remove the hydraulic hose on the boom cylinder on a 450c loader?

Post by Debes450c » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:25 pm

Hello fellow crawler owners. This is my first post to the site. I recently bought a jd 450c track loader and blew the up pressure hydraulic hose on the left side. I have down pressure and back and forth pivot luckily. It’s just when I try to lift the bucket that I get fluid running everywhere. Not sure how exactly to get to the fittings to remove the hose? Would I need to raise the loader all the way up to get to those fittings? Also what size open end wrench fits those fittings? Thought about buying some crows foot wrenches for this job. I’ve always used service wrenches for my backhoe fittings, but there’s just limited room. I appreciate any help on this project.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: How to remove the hydraulic hose on the boom cylinder on a 450c loader?

Post by B Town » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:42 am

This last summer's project was to replace all 12 hoses on my 450C loader. I blew a boom lift hose out with a bucket full of dirt while on-the-job. I replaced mine with the machine in the field. I placed a thread on this site documenting the hydraulic hose size/dimensions etc.

I rolled the bucket forward as I reversed. This lifted the boom a bit. I didn't lift the boom any more. I used a ratchet strap around the rear 1/3 of the boom lift cylinder to lift/support by wrapping the strap around the bucket dump mechanism above the boom cylinder. I removed the rear lift cylinder pin. Remove the step corresponding to the affected cylinder side. I loosened the two steel line connections under the step, one for boom up the other for boom down. At first I didn't completely uncouple this connection. But this allowed me to push/pull the cylinder barrel out of the loader frame to access the hose attachments on the cylinder(JIC compression fittings I believe) which I disconnected next.

I also had dreams of using a crow foot. Not with my luck, remember I'm broke down in a field, on the job. I think the hose fitting was 1 1/8", but this may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. I had to completely disconnect the two fittings under the step, remove the clamps inside the loader frame that secure the steel pipes in the loader frame and remove the pipes from the loader with the hoses still attached. I tried everything to remove the hoses before I ended up removing the steel pipes. The biggest pain was pulling the top of the pipe/hose combination out of the the inside of the loader mount. I would say it tried me quite well and required near maximum effort to get those guys out and the back in. They come out in one order and they need to go back in, in the reverse order.
I connected the hoses to the steel pipes before I replaced the steel pipes back in the loader frame. This definitely add a layer of difficulty, but by making this connection outside the machine, I could feel confident this oring connection was tight and would not leak.
All of my original hoses were in the same perished state, and instead of replacing a busted hose each weekend for the next 12 weeks, I bit the bullet and did all of the boom and bucket hoses. In order to replace the near bucket hoses that connect inside the top of the loader mount(same location we are discussing) you need to remove the boom cylinder and corresponding hose/pipe combination. I choose to do this procedure once!

Take a couple of pics, before! Best regards, Bruce

Debes450c
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Debes450c » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:05 pm

Thanks for the help B Town. I’m was nervous about removing the boom cylinder but it wasn’t to bad. This gave me access to use my 1 1/4 service wrenches. I replaced both hoses while it was apart and got it all buttoned back up. Added 5 gallons of hydraulic fluid and I’m up and running again.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:58 pm

?were you able to change both hoses without removing the steel pipes as I described??

Debes450c
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Debes450c » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:38 pm

Nope, forgot that on the reply. Removed step and two fittings underneath and a couple of clamps up behind the cylinder pin area. That’s what was the biggest chore getting that lined up and in place again. I checked the other side an those hoses are newer replacements so I should be good for a while :D

fullsizejohn
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by fullsizejohn » Sun May 24, 2020 6:42 am

Digging up an old one...
I replaced both of my boom cylinder hoses last fall (left side). An old JD mechanic told me no need to remove the steel pipes as the o ring on the new hose end will seal just by tightening the other end of the hose before securing that end.(after hours of trying to get those pipes out!!). Well anyway one started leaking again yesterday up inside at the top, i assume at the fitting(unless the new hose has separated from the fitting).
So once more into the breach i go...
You got those pipes out? I mean i tried and tried...whats the trick? Anyone else ever been advised to just tighten the hose with the opposite end fitting and then attach the cylinder end?

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sun May 24, 2020 9:56 am

Hello fullsizejohn,

If you are working on the boom cylinder hoses, you will not need to remove the steel pipes. Just support the large boom cylinder with a ratchet strap, pull the rear pin, move the cylinder forward and the boom cylinder hoses are now available.

Just for clarification, you are not working on the bucket circuit??

Best regards, Bruce

fullsizejohn
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by fullsizejohn » Sun May 24, 2020 4:52 pm

That is correct, the big cylinders that move the main loader arms. I just dont know how to tighten the hose that goes on the cylinder, the end that connects to the pipe end that is up in the pocket. I cant get those pipes out. Crows foot? Homemade crows foot type tool??

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sun May 24, 2020 6:12 pm

If the o ring end is leaking and you can’t stop it or get it tight enough, the steel lines will need to come out. I was unable to find a mechanism that would reach and tighten those connections. My main problem with my hose replacement was that I could loosen the connection we are discussing. So I had to remove the steel pipes.

The steel pipes can stubbornly come out. The bottom part of the lines need pushed to the center rear portion as far as they can. The top parts are pushed laterally and forward. The gooseneck will lack just a bit from coming out. The top will hit on the loader frame. I used a pry bar and took about all I had to pop them out.

Best regards, Bruce