450C Dozer 1974 Transmission Oil Concern

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
davidblackburn1
40C crawler
40C crawler

450C Dozer 1974 Transmission Oil Concern

Post by davidblackburn1 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:08 pm

I removed/replaced the filter in front of the radiator today. Oil was a milky yellow color. I saw that someone else on a different thread described the look of the oil as Latte (creamy?). I would say that is also what my oil looks like.

I have 10 gallons of new JD J20C oil and plan on draining the transmission and refilling with new oil. In the other posting it looked like it took 6 gallons to do this.

However on the other thread there was not a discussion on where the water came from? Is there something I should fix/plug major seal failure or ?

This is a new to our family machine. We have only had it a week.

I will try to post a picture of the oil when I can.

Thank you
Cat D2 Hyster Winch, Blade added Retired.
John Deere 450C Dozer, Winch, ROPS. Burned up in fire in Sept 2020.
John Deere 550G Dozer, Winch, Fairlead, Mann Brush Rack, Rops with cage

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: 450C Dozer 1974 Transmission Oil Concern

Post by jsal » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:00 am

sea foam makes a hydraulic additive for moisture in oil have tried it and it works i also have a 450 C

JIM
Last edited by jsal on Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikeforester
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Mikeforester » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:02 am

Hi,

Most times the moisture problems are condensation related since most of these older machines get used sporadically. However, water has a way of sneaking in so checking for any loose bolts on the transmission covers can't hurt.

Since you're going to change the oil anyway, don't forget about cleaning the screen in the transmission housing (right side, 3 bolts, you'll need a new gasket), and if your machine is a true "C" model (check serial numbers) you have wet steering clutches that share sump oil with transmission, so change that oil as well. Add some seafoam with the new oil and it should help with any remaining moisture.

Good luck with old girl!

Mike

davidblackburn1
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by davidblackburn1 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:41 am

Thank you, this information was very helpful. She is up on the timberland so this will be an in the field oil change in the pouring rain if I do it today. Any reason I cannot replace the gasket with Silicone (other than waiting 24 hours for it to cure?). I will have to wait more than 24 hours to get the gasket to do the task.

Serial number is 193326T. Looks like she is in the first batch of 450C. She has the Turbo Diesel. Looks like a day of studying her and figuring out location of all the drain plugs (I know where to look for transmission but not the wet steering clutches yet).

Is it the Sea Foam Trans Tune that I want? https://seafoamsales.com/product/trans- ... treatment/

Looks like it is for Car or Machine and one of the things it does is deal with moisture.
Last edited by davidblackburn1 on Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cat D2 Hyster Winch, Blade added Retired.
John Deere 450C Dozer, Winch, ROPS. Burned up in fire in Sept 2020.
John Deere 550G Dozer, Winch, Fairlead, Mann Brush Rack, Rops with cage

Mikeforester
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Mikeforester » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:36 am

Hi,

Clutch drains are pipe plugs at bottom of housing (one on each side), they go up into the clutch housing, not to be confused with drain plugs on the final drives (bottom of final drives going in towards sprockets).

I make my own gaskets when I'm in a pinch, but whatever works for you. I bought a couple of these gaskets to have on hand as they are pretty cheap.

If you don't have the manuals, check with Lavoy to see if he has any for your tractor. They come in real handy with these old machines.

Mike

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:20 pm

the sea foam product i used was hydra tune for hydraulic oil the one you posted I believe is for auto trans fluid but there are mostly all the same

JIM

bennyt
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by bennyt » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:38 am

Permatex makes good sealer for when a gasket is not available. Any NAPA, Advance, ect. has it.

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:25 pm

I had the same problem, with my transmission oil in my 450c dozer. Changed it last year and, now I discover the same thing again, milky looking fluid. And, yesterday I discovered that the water was likely coming from my clutch housing. I siphoned off a gallon or so of water from the clutch housing after removing the rubber plugs and working a small hose down in. I don't know how the water made its way in there but it has been parked outside for a few years. My problems are larger as the transmission fluid was also leaking into the clutch housing. I am assuming the water froze and did some damage to the transmission front cover. I will pull the engine in the spring and find out how bad it is. I drained the remaining transmission fluid and will put a pail of fresh fluid in so I can move it across the yard. Next summer I will get a shed built for my crawlers. I tried to get at the drain hole in the bottom of the clutch housing but it seems impossible to get at. If it gets above freezing again this winter (-10c now) I will take off the belly pan and then it should be easy to open up the drain hole. I have not used the dozer much in the past two years but regularly start it, charge the batteries and look it over. I was going to use it this week for a small one day job.
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments