Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: JD450C third head gasket This is getting old

Post by Al Swearengen » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:53 pm

oldmetalmender wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:24 am
I can see the end of this project coming.
Just had to comment on the beautiful resto on the crawler. My friend does complete restos on pre-war Rolls-Royce autos...7 firsts at Pebble Beach...I could see you doing that...and making the big bucks!
'99 450G 6-Way

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:22 pm

Al Swearengen wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:53 pm
oldmetalmender wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:24 am
I can see the end of this project coming.
Just had to comment on the beautiful resto on the crawler. My friend does complete restos on pre-war Rolls-Royce autos...7 firsts at Pebble Beach...I could see you doing that...and making the big bucks!
I'd do that... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
What an absolute joy to work on something as rare as pre war Rolls. And with 7 first place accomplishments, you can tell he loves it. I would appreciate some day to walk through a Pebble beach show. Only the best there. I don't know that what I am doing to my 450C is resto work. I like stuff to be clean and good looking and more importantly fully functional when getting repaired. I have only one total restoration under my belt. Just finished last October which is what freed me up to do this crawler work. It was for a very good friend in Seattle from 6th grade. A 1970 wagoneer. I re-plated bolts, put 1 1/2 sheets of metal into it getting rid of rust holes, hand made a ton of parts, Duplicated the door panels by building an oven and stamping patterns in vinyl, and literally took every single thing apart on it. It turned out OK for my first one. I start on a 69 X model wagoneer very soon.
He has me committed to be there for it's first car show this May. I guess I will go. :lol:
Here it is. It's no Rolls or near the quality, but I had fun.

And Al I know you from somewhere. Where was it? IFSJA? M715zone? Steelsoldiers? TLCA? I can't place it. But I remember your name.
The internet is and can be a small place sometimes. My username is Kaiserjeeps everywhere else.
Anyway, Cheers and thanks for the post.
Another Al. :D
1969 JD 400 backhoe
1975 JD 450C crawler SOLD to a neighbor
Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple murdered by covid on October 19th 2021

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:35 pm

So Bruce's vandalism cover showed up today. I am looking forward to duplicating it. I also cut open my tach for the 450C today. It was FILLED with white zinc corrosion. Powder everywhere. The gauge face is in excellent condition. My plan it to seal all the corrosion with a clear paint sealant to stop the corrosion and shedding of particles. And it won't TIG weld well with it being zinc plated. So I am going to use a brass strip rolled on a slip roll to the inside circumference and attach it with auto body panel adhesive. Then glue the body back together. Panel adhesive is stronger than the metal it holds. It also has corrosion inhibitors blended in and will never rust. I did alignment marks before cutting so clocking it back together correctly will be simple. Hidden under the inside bezel was printed Stewart Warner 826244 This along with the John Deere part number can be used in searches for NOS inventory. I will post pictures on all this.
1969 JD 400 backhoe

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:04 pm

oldmetalmender wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:37 pm
I have two questions. 1975 JD450C 6 way blade.
If I remove hoses to replace them from the hydraulic control valves just forward of the hydraulic tank, especially the main pressure line from the pump, will it drain the tank? Should I drain the oil before doing some hose replacements?

OK three questions.

I can't seem to find the air cleaner decal new. It is a T27580 There might be more than one decal, but this one is the only example I have. This decal came on a spare air cleaner housing I bought that was to small. Probably a normally aspirated motor. Mine is bigger probably for the turbo.
Can someone that has this decal please tell me what it says in the upper left that is torn away? The top two lines. I know of a company that can reproduce it and they do excellent work. I just don't know what it is supposed to say.

Thank you in advance.

Hey Oldmetalmender,

Check this eBay sale out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-OEM-J ... SwZ3BaePym

Best regards, Bruce

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:17 am

Thats a good buy if you need one to get to all original !!

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:47 am

Thank you Bruce! I bought it and it is on the way. The one I received is white and feels very paper like. I wondered if it would hold up when I stuck it on. If it does not last. I will use goo gone and remove it to apply the new one you posted. Thank you. BTW, I have two of the three pattern panels on your vandalism guard done and will hopefully get the face panel done today. Then trace them out on the 16GA and cut away. I ran out of pattern board and made a trip to town to Staples. I'll be darned if they did not have what I was looking for. I use single layer cardboard exactly like the backing on paper tablets. That stuff is the perfect thickness for patterns. I got something thicker that will be a compromise but will work.

I came home to a big box with a new turbo and a freshly rebuilt injection pump. Happy day.. The injection pump looks new, it's great looking. The turbo is new and thank you Lavoy for all the assistance procuring those. I can button up the motor now. I am in the process of completely rebuilding the tach. I am waiting on new glass for the face. Mine had 5-6 good sized pits or chips that would not polish out. I picked up a new pressure line that goes from the front pump to the valve body under your right arm. I am waiting on a reinforced woven protective sleeve to arrive before putting it in. My old pressure line was damaged past the stainless braid. Time to replace it while I am able to stand there with ease.

Off to the plow truck.... It's a little early for this comment,....I am ready for spring already.. :D
1969 JD 400 backhoe

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:11 pm

Well juggling a couple projects and dealing with weather, flat tires etc is not allowing as much time as I prefer. But here is where I am at. I cut the JD tach open to try and clean the inside. It was super corroded. It has had water inside. Zinc plating corrosion (white powder) everywhere. I saw the inner bezel had a ton of rust and the glass was chipped in 4-5 spots. I put the front half back in the lathe and cut the crimp away.

Before cleaning.

I did not try to clean this assembly. I would have ruined the mechanism. I carefully painted a clear sealer on everything but the rotating assembly.

I carefully cleaned both halves. Blasted and painted the inner and outer bezels with ceramic semi gloss black and rolled a 1 inch wide strip of stainless to make a sleeve to rejoin the case halves. I used 3M structural member grade panel adhesive. It won't fail ever.

Peeled the SS plastic coating and now have a shiny reflective surface for the gauge back lighting .

I had a new lens cut and picked it up today while doing errands. I coated anti-fog on the inside and glued the glass to the outer bezel and glued the inner bezel with urethane windshield glass to the outer assembly. The outer bezel has a rubber gasket the glass snaps into. Windshield gasket adhesive is the only thing that will work on glass and metal and rubber. I hope it never lets go because then I will be buying a new aftermarket tach.
I have it drying inside the house by the woodstove. I'll post a picture of it later.

I picked up a new throttle black knob from a JD dealer. 13 or so bucks is not bad at all. I wanted to replace my HLR shifter knobs. John Deere wanted 78 bucks a piece. :shock: Really? they don't even have a metal insert in them. So off looking for the same thing. Mc Master Carr has them. Just a shade bigger and also with no metal threaded insert. All you need to do is run a 3/8 drill bit in and then hand feed a 7/16 X 14 tap in. 4 minutes and for ONLY 3.82 yes 3.82 each you can have new shift knobs for 7.64 and not 156.00 bucks from deere.

Way better than what was on there.

I thought I would put up a picture of the rebuilt injection pump. I can tell they glass beaded it. It is super clean and ready to go. The turbo is still wrapped in plastic and I will leave it till I put it on. Lavoy mentioned fuel lubricity and the need for it with our older equipment. Modern fuel has it but not enough. He included a bottle and I forgot to get a picture. It was proven to greatly improve diesel fuel better than several similar products in detailed testing. Gas and diesel has changed a lot since the 70's. Thanks again Lavoy for the help.

There are not enough hours in the day. :D
1969 JD 400 backhoe

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:13 pm

The tach repairs worked. Between the urethane window glass adhesive sealant and the structural panel adhesive, its reassembled and sealed up.
New glass and some very delicate touch up's. I did not fix the two little dents on the outer bezel. My wife started teasing me about putting it in a dozer show. :roll: :) If it was a car.....
Never mind the ceiling light fixture reflecting in the glass there. Pretty hard to not catch something in the glass.

1969 JD 400 backhoe

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:47 pm

I received a couple of the service filter labels from NC. There are OEM and very nice. Hope you get yours soon.

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:49 pm

I received it yesterday. It is much smaller than the white one I already stuck on. The new yellow one looks great and will be a stand by in case the bigger one does not do well long term. I should be back at it by tomorrow. My wife fed me some of the strongest garlic I have ever had from her garden. What ever bug I had is taking a hike. So is everyone around me. :lol:
1969 JD 400 backhoe

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:49 pm

Finally putting stuff back on or in. My main pressure line from the pump to valve body had some bad abrasion. I had a new one made and found a neat trick to do to it. I ordered some of the electrical woven abrasion resistant harness sleeving for the line. It is extremely durable and it will help protect the line from rubbing wear marks. I stumbled on some abrasion resistant heat shrink that fit perfectly. I may put this stuff on more lines later.

And I got all the new wiring back behind all the gauges. Since I am converting to a volt meter from an amp meter, I landed both wires on the positive terminal. And made a heavy ground wire. One of the positive wires goes to the starter battery main stud, the second goes to the alternator. I also had to make a ground for all the new gauges. Same ground as the volt meter. I am bummed to not find original gauges. But was happy the green matches between the rebuilt tach and the new gauges. It will do. :wink:

Before,

After, That new green indicator light in the hole that used to have a plug in it is for reminding me to turn the battery switch off. It will glow when the system is energized. Seems I need reminders now. :roll:

And thanks to member Btown who sent me a damaged vandalism cover to reproduce for both of us, I now have an instrument cover for weather and UV protection. Everything is shaping right up.
1969 JD 400 backhoe

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:03 pm

OK, I have a question. I am trying to set the engine clutch finger height. They are at different heights new out of the box and clamped down on the disc. So the fingers are supposed to be set at the height of the tool which is 2 inches and within .010 of each other. I understand that. I need to do some adjusting and can reach the jam nuts just fine, but.... How are you supposed to turn the adjusting bolts? Are you supposed to remove the clips covering it? or find a way to make them turn with them on? I tried 90 degree needle nose pliers and a few other things. I could not reach them easily at all.

All the fingers are low and uneven after bolting down the pressure plate.

The adjusting bolts, the lower jam nuts and the wide metal retainer clips that are in the way. Is there a trick to this?

I have the manual here and all it says is make sure they are within .010 of each other and cycle it several times and double check the finger height. Maybe I am not trying hard enough. :?
1969 JD 400 backhoe

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:25 am

I always popped the clips off and got them out of the way. Probably wrong but thats what I did and never had any issues. Some of these other guys may differ with that approach.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

gaspumpsam
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by gaspumpsam » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:52 am

Can’t get over what a beautiful job you are doing - you are not rebuilding it, you are restoring it( to way better than when it was new) even noticed on the pics of the dash board, all nuts are even orientated the same way( a “sharp” portion is pointing up)
Very very nice.

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:17 pm

I did not do that to the bolts on purpose. :D That is where they stopped. I do know some high end car shows grade on bolt orientation. Not something I have ever aimed for. Ha. My friends wagoneer I just finished got zinc re-plated bolts under the hood. I had to research and build a plating station that now sits idle in the corner and also in my way. I'll sell it someday or start bronze plating baby shoes. :mrgreen:

Thanks LeonardL. I tugged on them with needle nose, then small channel locks. They did not want to come off and I figured I had better ask before doing something unfamiliar that I shouldn't. I will give it another try and see about getting them adjusted right.
I am close to putting the engine back in. I can say that I did not take enough before pictures. The parts catalogs and tech manuals only show so much. But there is not that much there and I have been able to figure most everything out.
1969 JD 400 backhoe